UKC

Last min trip to Switzerland (!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 samwalksmaggie 17 May 2022

What would be your recommendations for a first trip to Switzerland? Unfortunately it’ll be last minute so we’ve limited time to research! Hoping to have a base with easy multi pitch, nice hikes and a restaurant or 2. Can fly into any of the airports and will have a car. Thanks 

alx 17 May 2022
In reply to samwalksmaggie:

> What would be your recommendations for a first trip to Switzerland?

Arrange a larger bank overdraft

Iggy_B 17 May 2022

Even if you are driving, a one month Half Card could be interesting - 50% off buses, trains, cable cars and some boats. It is 100 GBP and will make itself back with a return up and down the Jungfraujoch or the train into Zermatt and cable car up to Kleine Matterhorn.

You buy bin bags from supermarkets in a lot of places and the cost of rubbish disposal is linked into them. Get good at reducing the size of your litter and squeezing it into public bins which are seemingly designed to stop you doing that.

As was said in the above post - get an overdraft! If something comes from Switzerland it tends to be on a par for the price with the UK if bought in a supermarket - bread, local veggies, beer. If not, prepare to be amazed. Packet of crisps for 4 quid was my favourite. If there are any huts still open I think some of them work out cheaper than actually existing in the valleys. I heard the minimum wage is over 20 quid an hour so locals can absorb this.

The climbing around Basel is really good and hardly visited by Brits. Had some good campsites. I did go in 2004 though so can't remember specifics.

JLS 17 May 2022

Do you need a car?

In my experience getting about on public transport is easy if you are heading to a fixed base like Zermatt, Sass-Fee or Grindelwald.

Sean_J 17 May 2022
In reply to Iggy_B:

A client of mine reported broccoli in Switzerland at the equivalent of 12 GBP, and a kilo of potatoes at 20 GBP. Eye-watering even for the Swiss!

Mike-W-99 17 May 2022
In reply to Iggy_B:

>  The climbing around Basel is really good and hardly visited by Brits. Had some good campsites. I did go in 2004 though so can't remember specifics.

Agree, good for public transport and the crag we've been to had a decent pub/restaurant at the top. Did also get sandbagged on the stiffest 5c ever.

To the OP, Martigny is worth a look. Lots to do.

Post edited at 23:07
 olddirtydoggy 17 May 2022

Fly into Basel, exit on the French side and grab a hire car at much cheaper rates. Tell them you are jumping the border as you will need a permit for the motorways. We went east to the quieter Glaurus alps for some hiking and a bit of Sport climbing. The climbing was nothing to go nuts over but the mountain hiking and Via feratta was outstanding. We also jumped over the Austrian border to do a big shop that literally saved us a fortune in food costs. Great country but very expensive.

veteye 17 May 2022

Mirroir D'Argentine, if the weather is right, though there may still be some snow/rime on it at this time. No doubt others will inform us of conditions. Are you going soon?

The Plaisir series of guides may be useful to have a look through.

Mike-W-99 17 May 2022
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> Fly into Basel, exit on the French side and grab a hire car at much cheaper rates.

We've hired from the swiss side the last few trips which was actually cheaper than the french side. Do nip over the border to stock up on food for the trip.

mike123 18 May 2022
In reply to olddirtydoggy: I’ve liked your  post and I’m replying not because I have experience of the area but because it sounds great and I want to be able to find it in the future . Sounds just my kind of area.  

rlrs 18 May 2022
In reply to mike123:

Perhaps best to get the name right Glarus Alps or Glarner Alpen. Definitely some worthwhile and varied fun to be had, off the beaten (tourist) track. Even some nice rock (Bockmattli, Mettmenalp, Chli Glatten, see logbooks).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...