UKC

Last minute Christmas trip - suggestions ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sarahjk 12 Dec 2012
So I completely failed to book flights before they got silly expensive. Duh.

Now holding out hope of a last minute deal to somewhere interesting and looking for suggestions; websites, locations, operators, etc.

Travelling solo from Dec 23 for about a week, looking for sunshine and preferably warmth, but happy with xc skiing, etc. Would love to join up to climb/hike in sun ! Or go somewhere solo and explore/hike around. Budget is flexible [prefer low !] depending on what it is.

Dreaming of sun.....

Dave Williams 12 Dec 2012
In reply to sarahkeast:

Morocco.

Fly to Agadir, then head south or south-east with a combo of buses and grand taxis. You can enter Moroccan-controlled Western Sahara without a visa and so get the furthest south you can go by land from Europe without a visa - to within 25km of the Tropic of Cancer. Should be warm and sunny enough. It was about 25C in Southern Morocco when I was there just over a week ago.

Usual caveats about female solo travellers in Muslim countries obviously apply.

HTH

Dave
 Boogs 12 Dec 2012
In reply to Dave Williams:

I was going to suggest Morocco too , looking favourite for me at the moment . Thinking of heading down that way next week for a week or so once I've tied up a few loose ends .
OP sarahjk 12 Dec 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: It was Morocco I was looking at, flights went from £200 to nearly £400 over the weekend and seem settled there now, darn it ! Guess that will have to be a last minute offer for me to take it, they are having a laugh.
 Boogs 12 Dec 2012
In reply to sarahkeast:

Yeh thats a big increase , hmmm I may drive to south of France spend a few days there then fly from there or maybe head further down into Spain & jet off from there instead . I'll look into it further over the next few days . Can let you know what deals I find if you would like ?

Cheers , Leon .
silo 13 Dec 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: The flights may have gone up to morocco but over all its such good value. we are heading out on the 12th to tafraoute!flights were 60 Quid! sorry
silo 13 Dec 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: That is the 12th of Jan
 PaulC 13 Dec 2012

Hi,

You can still get to Alicante for not too much over £200 with Monarch. I am doing that and staying at The Orange House, working for 1.5 hours a day for free accommodation to keep costs down. There will be plenty of people to climb with.

There are still very good deals on 'Icelolly.com" for sun or ski but, as usual, prices are based on 2 people.

Cheers

Paul
 TonyP 13 Dec 2012
In reply to PaulC: See you out there paul. also at o house and from the lakes.
 Sam Mayfield 14 Dec 2012
In reply to sarahkeast:

We are running an Improvers Course starting the 23rd with a spare place, not sure how much your flights would be now though to Alicante.

We also have loads of singles out here so you would not have to worry about a partner or car etc.

Sam Orange House
 martinph78 14 Dec 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: I was planning on filling up with diesel and seeing where the mood takes me on Christmas Eve. I always go away for Christmas, and looks like I'll be doing it solo again this year. I was thinking of driving to Chamonix or Ben Nevis, but could be tempted to visit somehwere warmer (El Chorro) if you fancy sharing the ferry and diesel? My budget is virtually zero but I'll not be staying at home!
OP sarahjk 14 Dec 2012
In reply to sarahkeast: Squeasy Jet is showing about £170, tempting !

So is it ok to just 'turn up' and find someone to climb with ? What gear/rack to bring ? Guess it is time to do some research.

And the important question, is it likely to be sunny ? even if climbing in a fleece if the sun is shining it would be fab !

Based in Lancs Tony and Paul if you are around before going ?

And are there still rooms/beds available ? Dec 23-30ish
 PaulC 14 Dec 2012
HI, Sarah

I fly on Tuesday and at bit busy between then and now.

Weather channel is showing High of 21 degrees C on Tuesday in Alicante low of 12 degrees, so versatile clothing. High of 19 degrees C on 23rd Dec. Sounds good to me.

There will be no problem finding people to climb with. Contact Sam Mayfield direct about accomms.

Maybe see you there

Paul
 Sam Mayfield 16 Dec 2012
In reply to sarahkeast:

Hi Sarah, we have beds in the large bunk room free, all doubles and twins booked.

sam@theorangehouse.co.uk

:0)
 Trangia 16 Dec 2012
In reply to sarahkeast:

Canary Islands. La Palma for first class hiking in the sun in a interesting environment.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...