UKC

Leonidio Internet & Climbing Partners

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Depadua 18 Sep 2020

Hello everyone
I'm a remote worker considering moving somewhere to spend a couple of months working and climbing as much as I can. Leonidio is a strong candidate but I need to figure out a couple of things first. Maybe someone who has been in the area can give me a hand  

1-How good is internet in the area (WiFi or 4G)
2-Is it easy to find climbing partners? 
3-Is it possible to find long ish term accommodation at reasonable prices?

Ta! 

Mowglee 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Depadua:

I thought about doing this briefly. Depending on what you do, consider the time difference - if you want to climb during the day and work in the evenings, you'll need to figure out how much overlap you'll need with colleagues/clients in western europe. Might not be a problem for you of course.

Internet in our studio apartment was fine for general browsing. Didn't try streaming or big downloads but it seemed stable.

Most people out there seemed to be on holiday rather than on long term climbing trips. There is a cafe/bar - the Panjika Co-op - where a lot of clibmers tended to hang out so I'd probably start there. Might even be a good place to work from during the day.

No idea about long term accom, but the short term apartments were cheap enough so would imagine longer term would be even cheaper, especially at the moment.

OP Depadua 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Mowglee:

Thanks! Time difference plays in my favour if I want to do early climbs (2h ahead there), can start working at 10.00 AM uk after a few burns in my project
I've been in Kalymnos before and it seemed extremely easy to find partners, I was hoping for something similar..
Regarding internet, unfortunately my job is quite data intensive so I'd probably need an above average speed.. but its good to know it was stable at least! 

In reply to Depadua:

We were out there last year around Easter time for a week or so, and on our last day there was a power outage for what seemed like the whole valley, which continued though to the next day. 

All the local restaurants seemed to have some form of generator hanging out the back of the van powering the place when we went out for tea, which gave the impression that it could be a semi regular occurrence.

Something to to be aware of I guess. 

Rob Kelly 18 Sep 2020
In reply to smile youve won:

Ditto. Any time it rained the power went out. Like clockwork. After the first time wondering what was happening, it turned into a bit of a running joke.

OP Depadua 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Rob Kelly:

Oh dear.. I hope it doesn't rain too often! 

Alex@home 18 Sep 2020
In reply to Depadua:

According to the guidebook the coming months have the following average number of days with >=1mm rain

Oct 5

Nov 9

Dec 11

Jan 8

Feb 7

Mar 7

Now if most of those fall at weekends you should be ok 😳

dsauerbrun 22 Sep 2020
In reply to Depadua:

I spent a month there in feb-march before the coviding working remotely.

I can't remember what the actual speeds were in the flat we rented but it was fine for video calling as well as getting work done... If you work in video editing or something where you need to upload large files frequently I wouldn't necessarily suggest it though. I was probably getting something like 15mbps down and 2 up. More importantly, the internet connectivity was consistent as opposed to when I was in siurana and the internet would constantly be going down.

I went there with a partner and didn't do much of the research for finding a flat so i can't help you with those.

Post edited at 22:11
OP Depadua 23 Sep 2020
In reply to dsauerbrun:

Thanks that's really helpful! Well 15mbps is actually quite decent.. 
If covid allows I may go there end October for a short holiday an assessing how feasible would it be to spend longer  

Mowglee 28 Sep 2020

Slight hijack - is anyone out there at the moment/in the past few weeks, and know how many of the local restaurants are open at the moment? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...