UKC

Lewis campsite question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ebdon 11 May 2023

I'm off to Lewis in June and hoping to spend some time on the west coast sea cliffs, I've seen their a few really nice looking basic campsites - Uig Sands and another near Cnip - can anyone tell me are these the sorts of places you need to book, or the sort you can just rock up and pay a guy on a quad bike every morning?

any other campsite recommendations welcome...

cheers

Andrew Barker 11 May 2023
In reply to ebdon:

https://kneepcampsite.co.uk/

This is the (very basic) website for the campsite at Kneep/Reef. I think it now needs to be booked. We didn't stay there as it wasn't open in April.

I think I have the number for the Ardroil (Uig) Beach camping. The sign at the entrance says camper vans need to book but I'm not sure about tents. If I can find the number, I'll email it to you.

dread-i 11 May 2023
In reply to ebdon:

For Uig Sands, its run by the community. There was a chap up the road you paid, details on a sign at the site. We just turned up and said hello. The site has toilets, with a shop (and petrol) a short drive away. It seems to have become home to a number of caravans, which is a shame. The location is great though, you camp in the dunes. Nothing between you and Canada, so it can get the weather, but has a nice breeze in case you get midged.

If you wanted to wild camp, you could just drive along the road a bit and stick a tent between the road and sea.

kevin stephens 11 May 2023
In reply to dread-i: the site has excellent toilets which are very well cared for. Why wild camp and lose the benefit of sanitation, especially in such a sensitive environment?

StuDoig 11 May 2023
In reply to Andrew Barker:

We've always just turned up for either.  Personally I prefer setting at Riof/Cnip and you can walk direct to some climbing venues.  road is a PITA at times though.  Both community owned so cash goes back to the locals.

Uig shop is limited but has the basics and there's a wee museum at the community centre (and a cafe) that is worth looking at if you're hiding from weather.  All pennies that help the local community.

Used to be able to car camp at Mealasta for a donation to the common grazing fund but I think that was stopped due to over popularity and crap (literally) sanitary Behaviour by campers.

Scallop shack Miabhig is excellent if you want to get some seafood for a BBQ / grill up!

If your down Uig - worth a look at the multi-Pitch on Griomabhal, great slabby climbing.

Cheers,

Stu

OP ebdon 11 May 2023
In reply to dread-i:

Thanks - we are looking to be as flexible as possible as weather and whatever biting insect happens to be attacking at the moment dependent we might do some actual wild camping and check out the scrambling/inland mountain trad so would rather not have to book - but I appreciate its 2023 and basic campsites seem to be a rare thing. not having a van, I'll blame it on vans!

my days of roadside camping are becoming fewer and fewer - i cant be arsed with the faff of constantly packing/pitching and have far to much kit. 

Jon Read 11 May 2023
In reply to StuDoig:

Scallop shack is no more, I'm afraid.

In reply to ebdon:

I've emailed you the mobile number for the Ardroil Beach Campsite warden.

I also found this useful:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=12kBJRXPkxX3HjCMcZX6GBw2mlbrbPjHD&...

It's a Google Map showing campsites on the Outer Hebrides. The link was on the Visit Hebrides website.

In reply to StuDoig:

We just turned up at Ardroil but called the number on the board to book when we arrived. It says they only have a licence for ten vans and booking is required.

Kneep/Cnip Campsite looks great. It was a pity it wasn't open when we were there.

Robert Durran 11 May 2023
In reply to ebdon:

The Cnip one can feel quite busy and all the best spots are taken by (fixed?) caravans blocking the view out to sea. I much prefer Uig Sands.

OP ebdon 11 May 2023
In reply to Andrew Barker:

Amazing, thank you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...