UKC

Lewis non tidal crags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 james1978 19 May 2019

Heading to Stornaway for the first time to run the half marathon at the end of next week and have a few days afterwards to explore. I'd like to check out the climbing but my partner isn't a strong swimmer and has a phobia of the water. Does anyone know of any good crags that are non tidal or away from the sea? Ideally with some routes up to e1.

Cheers.

it624 19 May 2019
In reply to james1978:

Sròn Uladail (Strone Ulladale)

Technically on Harris, but Lewis & Harris are one island - this is probably the most impressive crag in the Western Isles, and has some long HVS routes? Quite the walk-in though.

In general, the Outer Hebrides are pretty undeveloped (not just in terms of climbing!), so you could probably go a bit inland and find some stunning rock to put Trad FAs on if you had the inclination (and the midge repellent....)

Post edited at 12:46
 Gary Latter 19 May 2019
In reply to james1978:

The Upper Tier at Mangersta (beneath the bothy) has a bunch of shorter, generally easier routes, above a large platform about 40m above the sea - easy scramble down at the south end.

Other nearby crags, such as Rubh' an Taroin (really good E1 & E2), and The Painted Wall are above platforms/set back well away from the sea. Magic Geo is a deep geo, which should be fine in all but spring tides and wild seas. The Boardwalk Walls north of Uig are above a large non-tidal platform, so would also fit the bill, likewise Folded Wall at Aird Mhor Bhragair - lots fine sub-extreme routes.

Away from the hills, there are few single pitch crags with short approaches, though Crulivig Crag, just south of the bridge to Bernera is very convenient - 100m from road, with good routes from HVS upwards. The long routes on Tealasdale Slabs on Griomaval are worth the hour long approach - amazing panorama from the summit.

andyinglis 19 May 2019

In reply: Dalbeg, Mangersta, crag by the road to Bernera.... Gary’s suggestions.

oh and Sron Ulladale is bird banned at present I believe.

should try and get a copy of the new SMC guide, it’s very good.

Andy

OP james1978 19 May 2019
In reply to james1978:

Great stuff. Thanks to you all for your helpful replies.

I have just purchased a copy of the new smc guidebook too so fingers crossed for some good weather now. 

Post edited at 18:13

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...