UKC

Llanberis Pass

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Joe123 21 Mar 2013
Suppose to be climbing in Llanberis pass this weekend, and wanted to know if they usually keep it clear during snow?
 climber34neil 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Joe123: I think generally they do, was there end of jan and all roads were clear
andyathome 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Joe123:
They try. Last winter I think there were two mornings when it was very dodgy/closed; this winter some excitement but open every day.
In reply to Joe123: I hope you have some warm clothes! Saturday looks atrocious.
 Rory Shaw 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Joe123: have you looked at the forecast?
 Skinny Kin 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Joe123:
Tried to drive up Pen y Pass on Sat afternoon, gridlock! Cars doing 10 point turn to come back down. That's what I did as well. Snowplough tried to clear it but impossible cos of massive snowdrift on 1 lane. Walls on either side of the road, no point pushing the snow back to the middle of the road. Walls too high. Snowplough is useless. Then, I went around A5 way. Back down Pen y Pass in the evening, ok going up from Pen y Gwryd but sketchy coming down from Youth Hostel.
Today, I tried to go up Pen y Pass. A digger told me to turn back. A VW Golf drove down past me and said the other side (Pen y Pass to Pen y Gwryd) was blocked by spindrift now. It's perfectly dry road up to Cromlech boulders.
 Misha 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Skinny Kin:
Anyone know if it's open now? I checked on the Traffic Wales website last night and it didn't say anything about the road being closed but don't know how up to date that website is. Thanks.
 owlart 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Misha: The BMC have posted a photo to their FB page today showing it being cleared with a digger yesterday.
 Bulls Crack 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Joe123:

Usually, but only the road though.
Paul Poole 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Joe123:
If you check Gwynedd's site it's updating with the current situation regards the Pass. Still closed at the moment!
http://www.gwynedd.gov.uk/gwy_doc.asp?cat=7084&doc=22626&Language=1...
 Misha 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Paul Poole:
Thanks, just what I was looking for.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...