UKC

Location with ground anchoring in reach of Readin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 chaotic_chris 02 Jun 2020

Hello, looking a for day's climbing S to VS in 2 hours drive of Reading. We normally go to Symonds Yat, but wouldn't mind a change. The complexity is my we are 75 & 50 kg respectively so need a ground anchor when my partner belays. Cleeve Hill and Plump Hill both look ok for a day's outing but does anyone know if there enough rocks etc at either for ground anchors at either venue? 

Thanks!

mcawle 02 Jun 2020
In reply to chaotic_chris:

Unusual to be looking for sandbagged routes...

There are no ground anchors at either.  What about Swanage?  That may be your best (only) bet. Alternatively you could go to Shorn Cliff but you have to take the walk in from the top otherwise you would be breaching lock down rules as the normal starting point is in Wales.

Al

Toerag 02 Jun 2020

Tie the light person to a 5 gallon drum of water.

Ian Patterson 02 Jun 2020

My daughter and I use an old rucksack with a length of rope and gym bag filled with rocks inside as makeshift weight bag - about 10-15 kg for rocks works really well with a weight diff of 75 vs 55 kg.  We're sporting climbing but while that means falls are safer in principle they're also more regular and have generally higher forces due to less friction.  She's held big falls and it works really well to reduce her being pulled about without the yank you'd get from a ground anchor. 

OP chaotic_chris 02 Jun 2020

Good advice, thanks all

OP chaotic_chris 02 Jun 2020
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

Al, thanks - do you think there will be loose rocks at Plump Hill to use Ian's rucksack tactic? 

Chris

Not sure.  You may have to walk a ways to find some decent sized ones.

Al

ewanjp 02 Jun 2020

My wife is 47kg i'm 73kg, so almost the same ratio to you. Must say we've never bothered with ground anchors - generally she's good at belaying close to the wall so she doesn't smash into it. Occasionally she'll go up in the air a bit but it's never been a problem - just a soft catch. I would suggest practising at a climbing wall...

JIMBO 03 Jun 2020

Have you tried an Ohm? I'm about 90kg and regularly have much lighter belayers... I quite like the Ohm... It has its quirks but it's great when you get used to it... 😆

There is currently an Ohm for sale on this forum.  They are very good on sports routes, not sure how they would fair on trad.

Al

OP chaotic_chris 03 Jun 2020
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

Thanks- I read on Ohm review; looks a slick device but more for sport or indoors was my  impression 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...