UKC

Lofoten logistics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Reading UKC article on Lofoten 2009. I was wondering if the logistics of getting there are still current or are there now other options out there? Read somewhere flying to Sweden was also a possible way to go.

Only likely to have a couple of weeks in August, so a road trip not really an option.

Article here https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/destinations/lofoten_rock_-_norway-1819

Any advice greatly appreciated 

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 26 Jan 2020
In reply to Glenn Sutcliffe:

Now all the ferries to Scandinavia have long gone flying is the only option for trips less than a month (imho). The last twice we have been we have flown to northern Sweden (Skellefteå once and Luleå once) and hired a car there - 50% or less than the cost of the same in Norway - topped up with cheap(er) booze too.

Lulea > Svolvaer is 8.5 hours and a great drive. Kiruna is 3 hours nearer, but last time I checked car hire there was expensive.

Hope this helps

Chris

Hey Glenn I’d take a look at flying with Norwegian to Harstad/Narvik and driving over from there. It was cheaper last time I went.

tjdodd 26 Jan 2020

Last summer I flew to Bodo via Oslo.  Then ferry to Svolvaer.  Return ferry from Moskenes to Bodo.  I really enjoyed the ferry.  Lots of great scenery as it passes lots of islands and you get to see Lofoten opening up in front of you.  Interesting seeing locals being dropped off in really remote locations on the way.

If you have time it is worth going via Oslo as it is a really interesting city.  Definitely worth a couple of days.  Bodo itself does not offer much (unless you spend a few days and travel outside the town) so I'd aim to get through Bodo on the same day if connections allow.  You can walk from Bodo airport to the ferry terminal in 20ish minutes.

Lofoten itself is amazing.  I traversed from north east to south west and saw so many different landscapes.  From similar to Scottish winter in the north to Patagonia in the south.  Also make sure you go to the beaches - many people there go for the beaches which I had not realised before I went.  Huge variety in a really compact place.  Be prepared for all weathers and if walking don't expect dry feet for the trip.  I thought the trails were pretty tough by UK standards.  Quite often ended up in tricky scrambling territory even when on so-called main tourist tracks.

If you are camping then you can camp pretty much anywhere (respect the locals so not near housing).  Only one or two places where camping was prohibited.  But watch the midges.

tjdodd 26 Jan 2020

Should have said, it appears a really easy place to get around by vehicle.  Lots of camper vans and motorbikes.  Also met some people who were car camping.  They hired a car and then parked up each night and hiked off a bit to camp.

summo 26 Jan 2020
In reply to tjdodd:

> Should have said, it appears a really easy place to get around by vehicle.  Lots of camper vans and motorbikes.  Also met some people who were car camping.  They hired a car and then parked up each night and hiked off a bit to camp.

The Lofoten Islands, like the rest of Norway and sweden, enjoy the right of access to the countryside known as ‘Allemannsretten,’ or ‘every man’s right.’  This means that nearly all uninhabited lands are open for recreation and camping.  Restricted areas are cultivated fields, gardens, animal enclosures, and within 150 meters of any building or dwelling.  As a common rule, be respectful when on others’ land and, when in doubt about camping, ask for permission. 

Due to the impact of the high concentration of tourists during the summer months, there are some areas where it is asked that one does not camp; mostly at beach parking spots along the E-10.  While at other places a small fee is required, such as at the beaches of Eggum, Unstad, and Utakleiv.

Many places are clamping down as there are now so many camper vans etc.. 

Mattyk 26 Jan 2020

Been twice. Driving was awesome but the ferries are no more.

1st time we went, we flew cheap to Stockholm and then got an 18hour train to Narvik.. followed by boat to svolvaer. We missed the connection in Stockholm for train on way out so kipped  on a bench in a grave yard.  It was cheap. Maybe 2002/03 and train was about 50 quid return.

Enjoy.

wbo2 27 Jan 2020
In reply to Glenn Sutcliffe: It is a long way from Oslo to Lofoten..  I'd go to Harstad and get a car.

Mick Bradshaw 27 Jan 2020

We went in August 2018 - flew out via Oslo and Bodo then the 'fast ferry' to Svolvaer (3 hours or so but a beautiful passage). We didn't manage to get in and out of Bodo on the same day - but there doesn't seem much to see/ do in Bodo so would echo not doing that if timings work out. Probably better to spend time in Oslo if not in a rush?

On the advice of locals we flew back from Lofoten to Tromso (Wideroe is the airline) and back to the UK after a night in Tromso. That was actually a much easier option despite Tromso being further north and not on the way home. There is some interesting stuff to do around Tromso.

In reply to Mick Bradshaw:

We did that a few years back - just about doable in a day with the right flight times (fly London to Bodo via Oslo, pick up car then ferry and drive the last few hours).

Iamgregp 27 Jan 2020

Bloody hell, it's a right old trip isn't it?

Surely there's some easier to reach 9c's? ;0)

JuneBob 27 Jan 2020
In reply to Iamgregp:

9c's? They're in Flatanger, which is much easier to get to. Gatwick -> Trondheim, 3hrs drive north

To OP: If you drive round from Bodø, you can swing by stetinden, which is nice.

Iamgregp 27 Jan 2020
In reply to JuneBob:

Ah yes, right you are!

Bloody good job I didn't turn up to Lotofen with my draws and rope all pumped to send Silence then.  

I'll rebook me ticket.

wbo2 28 Jan 2020
In reply to Glenn Sutcliffe: For a laugh I checked the distance from Oslo to Svolvær... 1370kms

Paris to Stanage ~800.

It's about 20 hours of solid driving, I haven't driven far north of Trondheim from Oslo and the roads are ok, but...

HeMa 28 Jan 2020
In reply to wbo2:

It changes After Trondheim going northbound. Until there (from Oslo) your on a big road. After that it’s and endless shuffle of narrow roads, bridges, ferries, tunnels, and driving by the fjond. Scenic, Yes. Time consuming, Yes even If all the ferry timetables match

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 28 Jan 2020
In reply to HeMa:

> It changes After Trondheim going northbound. Until there (from Oslo) your on a big road. After that it’s and endless shuffle of narrow roads, bridges, ferries, tunnels, and driving by the fjond. Scenic, Yes. Time consuming, Yes even If all the ferry timetables match

That isn't my experience of driving up there a few times, north of Trondheim the E6 is a long, pretty straight and boring through endless pine forests, no ferries, tunnels or fjords for sure, until you are almost at Lofoten,

Chris

Post edited at 10:38

Also worth noting Glen that, if you haven't got the latest guide, you can download the intro section here with 2017 Logistics - https://www.rockfax.com/wp-content/uploads/intros/lofoten2017-intro.pdf

Alan

HeMa 28 Jan 2020
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Good to hear, i remember the road being what I described from the early 90s (or perhaps late 80s).

But it's still true from Narvik to Bodoe. Scenic, yes but slow.

And still a lot of the freight driven to central/northern Norway will drive through Swe/Fin and and either dip into Nor via the E14 to Trondheim, E12 to Mo i Råna, E10 to Narvik or E8 to Tromsoe. And I would guess one criteria for this is indeed the time. 

Robert Durran 28 Jan 2020
In reply to HeMa:

When I drove to Lofoten, I went up the road through the middle of Sweden - fast and pleasant, though I did eventually get bored of the forests and cut across to the slow but spectacular coast road at the Arctic circle. On the way back I cut straight across to the Baltic coast, then down that which was probably faster and nice enough. An earlier trip in ferry days we drove a the way up Norway from Bergen which was really scenic but definitely slower!

Hi there, I visited Lofoten the year before with my club for just over 2 weeks. We flew to Oslo, spent a night there, caught an internal flight to Narvik, hired cars and based ourselves in Ballangen. We climbed around the Stetind area for 3-4 days, then drove to Henningsvaer and stayed there the rest of the time. Drove back to Narvik on a Saturday morning, caught an internal flight back to Oslo, spent Sunday exploring and caught an evening flight back to London. There isn't very much open on Sunday in Oslo so probably better to fly out in the morning if the price is right and you've already seen most of the public sights.

Not the cheapest way to get around Norway, but it worked well for our group and it was nice to see more of Northern Norway on the mini road trip from Narvik to Henningsvaer. Two of our group missed the London to Oslo flight and consequently missed the Oslo-Narvik flight, so rented a car from Oslo when they finally got there and drove for a day and half (going through Sweden) to catch us up in Ballangen - car hire from Oslo was pricey and fuel wasn't cheap at that time too. 

Post edited at 18:52
 David Myatt 02 Feb 2020
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Thank you Alan. I have the first edition and finally thinking of going next year, so your pdf is great.

cheers, David

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...