UKC

Long distance hikes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sheffieldchris 01 Apr 2020

I was due to start hiking the 2650 mile Pacific Crest trail in the USA in 2 weeks, that is over for this year.

Small fry in the grand scheme of things right now I know but part of my coping strategy is to look forward with hope and positivity.

I am looking at other 500 mile+ hikes in Europe for some point later in the year. I had cleared all my commitments because of the 6 month hike in America. The only fixed date I have is the start of November.

I am looking at best to start in July and at worst October.

Have all the kit to do self sufficient hiking.

I am no stranger to long walks done routes called the HRP across Spain and also the Camino De Santiago.

My first look at routes are the Via Dinarica through the Balkans, also the Sultans trail through the Balkans (BBC have a program about it right now)

Later in year if only get a month the Camino del Norte which follows the coast.

The Lucian way in Turkey with a new extension after.

Anyone have any other surjections from experience of doing them.

Red Rover 01 Apr 2020
In reply to sheffieldchris:

I think you could do a very good long distance hike in Norway. I don't know if they have officially named long distance trails but there is a network of paths and huts going from the south coast up to trondheim so you could make your own way. Something like this would be eppic:

Roldal, north accross the hardangervidda to Geilo.

From Geilo accross Fodalen to Ovre Ardal (I don't know Fodalen at all)

From Ovre Ardal through the jotunheim (many good paths and huts) to Otta

From Otta accross the Rondane to Hjerkin (staying at the stunningly beautiful Rondsvassbu hut 

From Hjerkin accross Dovrefjell and Reinheimen to Andalsnes.

No idea if that can be done in one summer, it's huge! 

gooberman-hill 01 Apr 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

A friend and I have recently (last month) skied from Rjukan to Aurdal in 9 days - so I have no doubt that this trip could be done in a month - maybe 40 days.

Steve 

Georgert 02 Apr 2020

Good attitude.

Been eyeing this for some time – a challenge and a half by all accounts!

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2009/nov/01/trek-corsica-grande-randonee

pec 02 Apr 2020

I see you've done the HRP but there's also the GR10 and GR11 at just over 500 miles.

If foreign travel is still a problem there's always the South West Peninsula Coast Path here at 520 miles, not likely to be affected by snow even if you have to postpone till late autumn!

Post edited at 21:18
 Andrew W 02 Apr 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

Norge På Langs is a trail that goes from the South Cape of Norway to the North Cape around 3000km and not a predefined trail but more a general idea

https://norgepaalangs.info/

Red Rover 02 Apr 2020
In reply to Andrew W:

Thanks. A monster of a walk!

hairyRob 06 Apr 2020

Northern Norway, Finland and Sweden - 800km

https://www.traildino.com/trace/continents-Europe/countries-Norway/trails-N...

olddirtydoggy 06 Apr 2020

The Carpathian Traverse stands at a mere 2200 miles. A friend of mine did it slowly over a few months and said it was incredible, he's very well travelled.

Post edited at 22:29

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...