UKC

Longer Term Travel/Climbing Insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mick B 24 Oct 2020

Anyone know of any companies that offer climbing and general travel insurance for over 90 days? 

I'm looking at approx 5 months in Spain (if I can still get there)

So far nothing I've looked at ticks all the boxes.

Obviously needs to cover Covid medical cover but doesn't need it to cover cancellation or quarantining due to Covid. 

Plus need to be covered in the event of getting injured at the crag.

OP Mick B 26 Oct 2020
In reply to Mick B:

bump

BruceM 26 Oct 2020
In reply to Mick B:

Isn't the problem more likely to be how to stay for 5 months now UK isn't in the EU?  Unless you are a EU citizen you lucky b***

In which case investigate AAC (or maybe other clubs if you are an EU citizen), as they offer at least 4 months insurance -- not sure about 5.  I've only ever bought 3 months worth from them, and I know 4 months was definitely one of the options.

Dark-Cloud 26 Oct 2020
In reply to Mick B:

I'm interested to see what comes up here, we let our BMC yearly policy lapse this year mainly due to not going anywhere and also a year on year increase that was never explained making it pretty expensive for what it was.

In reply to Mick B:

Just had the same issue last year and this. In the end went with bmc single trip policy to cover the length of time away. For the reason that I have heard so many good reviews when it was needed by folks. Decided the slight extra cost was worth knowing they would ive hassle free help if needed.

AAC was my 2nd choice . Snow card do allow you to "top up" the annual policy so say get a 2 month policy and then also take out their annual one wot 90 day cover to cover the whole 5 months. Just seems odd to me but if you email them they confirm it. 

How will you avoid the 90 days in 180? Desperate to be able to get to europe for more than 3 months in the future so your post fills me with hope! 

wbo2 26 Oct 2020
In reply to Mick B: This will be  a struggle I suspect as in a few months time UK citizens won't qualify for reciprocal healthcare (maybe) so the cost of any medical treatment, hospitals etc. need to be included.

I will be interested to see if the AAC will still cover UK citizens going forward as your potential risk and cost will be going up to a level different to their home users

Post edited at 14:55
OP Mick B 26 Oct 2020
In reply to Emilysaladfingers:

Thanks, good info. I actually met you and Matt at Tierre de Naddie in Feb. 

I only realised today that a single trip policy could exceed the 90 days of an annual policy.

I had an annual policy last year with Snowcard but only stayed for the 90 days.  I have contacted them and although really helpfull have said they have said they can't cover the full trip this year.

Just had a look at the BMC policy which would be great but they mention "Please check the FCO has not advised against “all” or “all but essential” travel to your destination."

FCO are advising against all but essential travel at the moment.  This may be an issue with all policies?

As for the 90 days, I knew Irish parents would come in handy one day.

George_Surf 27 Oct 2020
In reply to Mick B:

So long as Spain doesn’t go on to the don’t travel there list; True Traveller backpacker insurance includes climbing if you choose their adventure pack. It was 400£ for me and Rachel for the winter, although we didn’t opt for climbing insurance in the end, just normal backpacker travel insurance 

Trythallj 27 Oct 2020
In reply to George_Surf:

Afraid it already is, George. Staysure covers (for extra fiver) travelling against fco advice, except for the reason for the advice (ie Covid).

John

OP Mick B 06 Nov 2020
In reply to Mick B:

Thought I'd post an update now I'm sorted and safetly across all borders to Spain.

I couldn't find anyone that covers for Covid while the FCO advise against all but essential travel.

Staysure would cover me, except for Covid, but their policy will not cover me for Covid in the future, even if FCO advice changes if the FCO advice is 'don't travel' at the time of departure.

True Taveller won't cover me for Covid now but will cover me for Covid at any point over my trip where FCO advice changes.
I went with these.  They were very helpful on the phone.
It was £240 for a five and a half month policy which incudes climbing (but not sea cliffs) 

I tried to contact the BMC to clarify their position but gave up after being on hold for 1 hour 15 mins and 45 mins respectively.  Rubbish.

J1234 07 Nov 2020
In reply to Mick B:

For Covid, will your E111 not cover you, which will be valid until end December 2021, as you already in the EU.

Good luck and enjoy yourself.

JR 07 Nov 2020
In reply to Mick B:

Obviously it depends specifically what your needs are, but I currently hold CAF insurance for the activity elements (which isn't as full service as BMC, but has additional benefits beyond BMC and AAC) having effectively had my annual BMC insurance voided mid term (even though not travelling back to the UK at the time was the most sensible Covid position)

https://www.ffcam.fr/assurance.html (the insurance details are downloadable in english)

It's about €200 all in for worldwide, unlimited trip, and enhanced personal cover (and you don't have to domicile in France)

Can even have a wing-suiting extension for €280 if you desire!

You'll probably need to look for US based insurance for a more comprehensive single policy that doesn't exclude Spain on FCO basis.

Post edited at 10:33
OP Mick B 08 Nov 2020
In reply to J1234:

Hi Steve,

Yes. This is what I’m counting on for the rest of this year. 

OP Mick B 08 Nov 2020
In reply to JR:

Hi JR, 

Good to know for next time. 
That sounds like a really good deal. 

Due to the way the Spanish regions were closing their borders the other week I decided to leg it earlier than planned so didn’t have time to shop around extensively. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...