UKC

Majorca in October

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi all, as title suggests!

Anyone have any advice or tips for Majorca in October??

Thanks

TheGeneralist 23 Jan 2019
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Could you be a bit less vague.

DWS or routes.

Multi or single

Are you looking for tips on accommodation

Airlines.

How to get cheap hire cars.

C'mon. Give us something to go on. Make an effort.

TheGeneralist 23 Jan 2019

So for example, assuming you want to know about DWS and are only going for a few days with one person...

Stay in the cala romantica hotel thingy just nearcporto christo. Not fabulous, but pretty nice and easy with restaurant etc on site.

You can then access all the best SE coast DWS but have the option of bailing out north if the seas are too high.

Go to cala sa nau on your first day. There will probably be a fair few newbs lining up nervously to work their way up through the easy routes there.

Then you walk over to Mitjana. If you're on  form then do terry's wall and the  6b plusses towards the flag

If you're not on form OR it's rough seas, then nip round the corner to the really sheltered bit. Can't be bothered looking up the name but its obvious. A couple of nice 5s and sixes and some excellent short sevens.

Go to Barques too. Do Hercules. And the big sevens if you can

If it's really calm then go to Serena. It never was for us so we ran away.

If you're unlucky, like we were this last year then you'll probably end up at mitjana again at some point. It is unbelievably sheltered.

Etc

Was I close or did you actually want to know about something else like the quality of bolts at crevetta,/sa gubia

Post edited at 21:14
 Pedro50 23 Jan 2019

> Hi all, as title suggests!

> Anyone have any advice or tips for Majorca in October??

> Thanks

They speak a sort of Spanish, most months. 

didntcomelast 23 Jan 2019

We went last October school half term to do the GR221 thinking it would be warm and dry unlike autumnal Britain. How wrong we were!! 

7 days of heavy rain with one day of snow on the highest section of the walk and part of the route closed due to flooding. 

Majorca’s mountain refuges are great value for money with good food and a great atmosphere.

ashtond6 23 Jan 2019
In reply to Pedro50:

> They speak a sort of Spanish, most months. 

*official language variation on catalan.

Pedro50 23 Jan 2019
In reply to ashtond6:

> *official language variation on catalan.

Gracias 

Stichtplate 23 Jan 2019
In reply to Pedro50:

Da nada.

ashtond6 23 Jan 2019
In reply to Stichtplate:

> Da nada.

De*

Stichtplate 23 Jan 2019
In reply to ashtond6:

Qué?

In reply to TheGeneralist:

Don't bother yourself,

I'll wait for someone with a brain and who isn't full of them self to respond

Post edited at 23:04
 badgerjockey 24 Jan 2019

Mate seriously, give us something to go on. There’s loads of mallorca stalwarts on UKC - what do you want to know?!?

I think Generalist was actually trying to be helpful and wasn’t full himself. Your question left much to be desired.  

Post edited at 00:34
In reply to badgerjockey:

Well if you see him replying to other threads this is just him being his usual dick self.

Get your point though but unnecessary levels of sarcasm and bulls**t from the generalist. 

Weather

Best location

Clipping bolts

any information on the above much appreciated. 

Thanks.

badgerjockey 24 Jan 2019

> Weather

Unpredictable at this time of year. Could be beautiful but be prepared for changeable weather, even localised storms. I’d say in an average October week you’ll have 2-3 wet days unless you keep dodging about.

> Best location

As above, depends on weather. The north and west where the mountains are gets the worst of the weather, obviously. The south and east is a lot flatter and settled, with much of the action on sheltered coastal crags.

Generally the setup is small to medium sized crags dotted around the island, predominantly in the hills or coast. Each one having its unique setting. Climbers tend to be based near the mountains in an airbnb (look at Soller, Pollenca, Inca and Andratx for starters) and have a hire car to get around daily. Depends on how long you have. You could stay in the government-run mountain walkers huts if you wanted (government website, or search ‘gr221 refugios’)

> Clipping bolts

I’d recommend getting the Rockfax before you go. There are too many good crags to list here. However, check on ukc logbooks and forums to choose your crags because a few of the crags (mostly just limited to certain sectors) have notoriously rusty bolts due to landowners not tolerating access etc.

> Thanks.

Michael Hood 24 Jan 2019

Car hire, last October we had a car for a week for 31 euros. Ridiculously cheap.

Yanis Nayu 24 Jan 2019

I must be a dick, but a lazy one. I saw your ridiculously vague post and thought the same as the Generalist, but couldn’t be arsed to reply. 

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

It's not exactly hard?

Majorca in October? any any advice or tips??

What do you want a broken down itinerary??

This is a climbing forum so of course it's going to be about climbing!

badgerjockey 25 Jan 2019

I've basically given you what you asked for now buy the Rockfax, read the million other UKC posts/articles and get googling.

Northern Star 25 Jan 2019

Weather: next October it will be 25deg and sunny on all days except Thursday the 17th when rain is to be expected

Sorry mate, someone had to say it.  If you fancy a days worth of easy to mid grade bolted climbing with great views and the oppertunity to get loads of routes done then can highly recommend this lesser known crag.

Sa Mola de Felantix

Iamgregp 25 Jan 2019

I don't know why people were such a dicks either man...

Felantix is a great Crag, another vote for that one here.  I'd also recommend having a look round the abandoned winery right in front of it, loads of graffiti and interesting stuff lying around, watch your step though, there's lots of hidden drops in the flooring and stuff.

Sa Gubia is incredible, a real gem of a crag, the only thing which is slightly off is that a couple of the routes can have a little bit of a run out between a couple of the bolts here and there.  Enough to make it interesting.

Soller is a lovely town with in an amazing setting.  The drive from Soller to Port De Pollnca is amazing, some fantastic views.  

Don't get the sushi at Palma airport.

GrahamD 25 Jan 2019

Be prepared to drive.  The weather can have a marked variation across the island and you might have to choose the crag based on this.  Also worth considering looking for accommodation based on ease of access to the faster roads.

TheGeneralist 25 Jan 2019

Just out of interest, was it my first post or the second one that you object to?

In reply to TheGeneralist:

Combination of the 2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...