UKC

Mallorca Camping

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam Mills 22 Oct 2022

Hi!

I’m spending 5 days sport climbing in Mallorca in December. Wondering what experience people have of camping there? I’ve seen others mention Lluc monastery but not seen much else. Any other recommended camping options? Particularly in the southeast. Also does anyone have experience wild camping there?

Thanks in advance! 

Pedro50 22 Oct 2022
In reply to Sam Mills:

Wild camping is illegal and discouraged but does go on. Lluc is basic and free, the only campsite that I'm aware of.

Ciro 23 Oct 2022
In reply to Sam Mills:

I've done a fair bit of wild camping on Mallorca with a hammock and tarp and never been bothered, but tend to stay well away from roads and villages unless only stopping overnight.

There's some spectacular beaches in the south east that have a long walk in, so no way you'd be bothered wild camping - but I guess that's not what you're looking for on a 5 day sport climbing trip.

OP Sam Mills 23 Oct 2022
In reply to Pedro50:

Thanks for the info. I’ve seen Google reviews mentioning people paying to camp at Lluc (€5 ppn), but maybe that’s just in high season? 

OP Sam Mills 23 Oct 2022
In reply to Ciro:

Promising to hear you’ve managed to get away with it. Any experience camping near any of the South East coast crags? Would of course expect to walk a way to get away from the road/settlements. 

Conor1 24 Oct 2022
In reply to Sam Mills:

We camped for a week (12 years ago) in the beach cave at Cala Barques - perfect spot, no need for a tent. 

Best,
Conor

gazhbo 24 Oct 2022
In reply to Sam Mills:

Lluc is €5 a night all year round which, frankly is astonishing value.  It’s a bit far from the SE but near some great crags.

There is a private campsite called Campamento Hipocampo on the south coast which I recall having good facilities, being pretty reasonable and having two massive dogs.  It doesn’t have much of a web presence  but it looks like it’s still there.  Im sure there are others.  

You could sleep on the beach at Cala Barques or in the grottty cave but, assuming you’re hiring a car I wouldn’t want to leave it anywhere near the that beach for any length of time, particularly not with anything in it.  

Ciro 24 Oct 2022
In reply to Sam Mills:

Have never had a problem around the DWS crags.

Also never had a problem sleeping on beaches, even right by the airport for a flight the next day or arriving late with my pushbike and gear.

Google maps satellite mode is your friend, the island is full of places to sleep discreetly and leave no trace.

Ciro 24 Oct 2022
In reply to Ciro:

> Have never had a problem around the DWS crags.

> Also never had a problem sleeping on beaches, even right by the airport for a flight the next day or arriving late with my pushbike and gear.

> Google maps satellite mode is your friend, the island is full of places to sleep discreetly and leave no trace.

Saying that, please don't use Google maps satellite mode to cut trails to the quiet beaches - that's been happening a bit the last few years and is ruining some really lovely quiet spots!

Get in and out by the existing coastal paths, they are worth the walk! 🙂

OP Sam Mills 24 Oct 2022
In reply to Sam Mills:

Thanks everyone, this was really helpful, will report back in January! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...