UKC

Malta shady crags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Inhambane 17 May 2019

Hi all 

I'm going to Malta/gozo and might be able to do a day or two of climbing.  Which crags would you recommend that are shady and have climbs in the low 6s 

Thanks 

fatbuoybazza 17 May 2019
In reply to Inhambane:

Don't know whether it's shady or not but there's a good small crag further on from Chapel Buttress, think it faces south tho, it's nearer to the quarry and there's around 10 lines there, all in the 5's low 6's enough for a swift morning afternoon, or evening hit. I'd think that most of the stuff at Wied Babu East could be good in the mornings, there's quite a bit there in the range you're lookin for, more in the book if I recall than on the UKC logs..

OP Inhambane 17 May 2019
In reply to fatbuoybazza:

Thanks

Laramadness 18 May 2019
In reply to Inhambane:

Second vote for Wied Babu East - certainly do Kleen Kutter!

Mellieha cave, though not much low 6's.

Wied Il-Meilah on Gozo, sure to find some shade.

fatbuoybazza 20 May 2019
In reply to Inhambane:

No worries at all. Sorry, forgot to say too that small crag near Chapel Buttress isn't in the guidebook and I couldn't find any topos for it at the time(it's fairly easy to find in that valley though), just got recommended it from MC Adventure when we'd dropped by to hire some kit.

JohnO1978 20 May 2019
In reply to Laramadness:

Have a look on youtube, "Tango whisky takes a big lead fall" its a mate of mine taking a big whipper on Kleancutter!

JohnO1978 20 May 2019
In reply to Inhambane:

Motorcycle gulley in the shade too, some classics on there. 

yoshi.h 20 May 2019
In reply to Inhambane:

Wied Babu is a nice narrow valley by the coast, with East and West facing walls which you can walk from face to face within 10 mins, with lots of nice lines in the 6's.

OP Inhambane 20 May 2019
In reply to Inhambane:

I have seen the route 30 Minutes To Sunset (5c) in  Wied Il-Mielah.  Is that a repel down to a hanging belay at the bottom of the route?  I can't quite figure it out from the logbooks.   Or can you belay from the top as well ?

Post edited at 14:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...