UKC

Marocco climbing in Winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 asdf123 14 Sep 2021

Hi!

As I have a month off in February I’m thinking about heading to Marocco for some climbing and was wondering if anyone knows if the weather’s usually warm and dry enough around then?

Also as I haven’t got a partner (yet) how big would you estimate the odds of bumping into potential climbing partners there? Is there any place in particular people usually hang out or so?

Thanks!

TurnipPrincess 14 Sep 2021
In reply to asdf123:

I presume you mean Morocco.

If you are very unlucky you might get a few wet days, but generally I think should be OK. (I went in March for 10 days and had 1 wet day)

I would say it might be quite challenging to try to find a climbing partners when you are there. I climbed at 5-6 different locations and I met climbers at two of the places, however, they all came with climbing partners and had set goals.

Tbh considering that it's mostly 'adventure trad' I am not sure how comfortable I would be with climbing with a new partner there anyway. 

Post edited at 16:05
 mutt 14 Sep 2021
In reply to asdf123:

The weather is lovely in October, at least for the time being. Lookout for the tree planting as you fly in. The Sahara is expanding d/t anthropogenic climate heating and north African communities are already having to take desperate measures to hold back aridification of traditional farmlands. 

I can recommend swanage as a very acceptable alternative throughout the winter. 

In reply to asdf123:

Morocco is not a good place to meet other climbers and it's also worth mentioning that it is at the adventurous end of the adventure spectrum.

Al

spenser 14 Sep 2021
In reply to asdf123:

Weather will depend a little where you go, however it was absolutely brilliant when I went in November a few years ago.

I wouldn't count on picking up a partner out there though, as someone else has pointed out it's as adventurous as an adventurous thing (and all the better for it!).

OP asdf123 14 Sep 2021
In reply to TurnipPrincess:

Yeah I guess I’ll have to find someone who has time then, especially I agree about not wanting to do adventurous stuff with someone I just met… I was hoping there might be a more popular sport crag or something of the sort I hadn’t heard about

But good to hear the weather should be ok! It seems the temperature shouldn’t be too low either

PS: Turns out morocco is spelt differently in every language, I’m not originally an english speaker

Andy Chubb 14 Sep 2021
In reply to asdf123:

I've been to the Tafraoute area 4 times in mid to late March and have had very mixed experiences with the weather. Only one trip was dry and 2 of them were virtual wash-outs including snow on the nearby hills. I think the general view is that November is better.

Kemics 14 Sep 2021
In reply to asdf123:

I was there in early march for 2 weeks and had 13 days of absolute scorching weather and then it pissed with rain on the last day. Went from sahara to very reminiscent of north wales clag! I never saw another climber at a crag. Met a few in hotels and the bar but the mountains were empty. The climbing was spectacular, worth going for sure if you can recruit someone to climb with. 

In reply to asdf123:

No worries. (Yesterday at a car rental place a British manager asked a Danish customer to spell Copenhagen...Perhaps the memory is too vivid )

There is a superb sport granite venue if you don't fancy adventure trad with a new partner:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/eflodne-24195/north_west_buttress-...

In reply to asdf123:

No worries. (Yesterday at a car rental place a British manager asked a Danish customer to spell Copenhagen...Perhaps the memory is too vivid )

There is a superb sport granite venue if you don't fancy adventure trad with a new partner:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/eflodne-24195/north_west_buttress-...

mutt 14 Sep 2021
In reply to asdf123:

Swanage has perfect weather in January.. give in and accept the best winter trad venue in the world!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...