UKC

Meig Crag clean up, Strathconon, Highland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gaz.marshall 23 Nov 2020

Meig Crag is a very neglected roadside trad crag in Strathconon, Highland. There are some quite good looking routes on it, but it's north facing so a bit dank and cold and it's fair to say that sport climbing has pretty much killed off local trad, so it's returning to nature and most of the routes are pretty unclimbable on their current state. That's fair enough, I love clipping bolts too, but since it's only about 20mins from my house I'm quite keen to climb some of the routes there. Over the winter I'm planning to clean a few of the better looking routes so they'll hopefully be climbable in the spring, when it's not too cold but before the bracken and midge ruin everything.

So, to cut to the chase, if anyone is keen to sample some reinvigorated Highland esoterica I'll be looking for local partners in the Spring so drop me a line. I've got a young family so half days, quick hits and evenings are generally all I get, hence me trying to make the most of my local patch!

KA 23 Nov 2020
In reply to gaz.marshall:

It's probably worth posting this on the various FB groups related to climbing in Scotland.

DM sent!

DaveHK 23 Nov 2020

I might manage that, let me know when you're heading out.

OP gaz.marshall 23 Nov 2020
In reply to KA:

I'm not on FB. That probably explains why I don't have many climbing partners, but I'd like to think my mental health is better for it!

OP gaz.marshall 23 Nov 2020
In reply to DaveHK and Simon:

Thanks both, I'll be in touch.

Worth pointing out, I'm under no illusions that these routes will stay clean for long or that this will rekindle interest in local trad, but hopefully I and a few others will get to enjoy them for the short spell that they're clean.

scragrock 24 Nov 2020

Don't do trad{anymore} But good effort on the clean up Gaz, We need a lot more folk getting involved in Crag and Boulder maintenance.

finc00 24 Nov 2020

I'd be keen for a few days spent bouncing up and down on a rope there.... should be back up north from about 10th December till 10th Jan.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...