UKC

Mer de Glace access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 19 Mar 2023

I'm looking at visiting the refuges Couvercle and/or Requin.

Looking at various information sources, I see some vague information about restricted access on some paths beyond (south of) the Montenvers Hotel and Station. 
Simply put, can you still get to the ladders and down them onto the glacier?

I'm aware that the Les Egralets ladders to the Couvercle are now inaccessible (without treading water up the mudslides below) and so new ladders are now in place from the Mer de Glace to the Balcon beyond the Charpou area. 
I just need to know if I can still get down to the glacier from Montenvers?

Any help appreciated.
Ta
Fred

Post edited at 16:42
 gooberman-hill 19 Mar 2023
In reply to Fredt:

Not sure about now, but last summer all access to the Mer de Glacé was from the bottom of the steps to the ice caves, due to building work on the new access. 

I don't think the building work has finished yet, but I may be wrong.

Dan Goodwin 30 Mar 2023
In reply to Fredt:

Did you ever find out what the access situation was? I have seen that the ladders have been closed for now I think, not sure how you would get down there now!! Thanks for any info (thinking spring summer access) Best Dan 

Tony the Blade 30 Mar 2023
In reply to Fredt:

Walk from Montenvers down the steps to the ice grotto then climb over the fence and walk onto the Glacier... that's what I did last time. I was with someone with a fear of ladders, hence that way into the MdG.

Webster 30 Mar 2023
In reply to Fredt:

there is a new path (in summer) directly down from the montenvers station for when the gondola is closed, or you take the gondola. the paths beyond the cafe and crystal gallery area down (including the ladders) are closed until the construction work is finished i imagine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...