UKC

Mercantour Park (Maritime Alps) Guidebook

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gooberman-hill 29 May 2024

Does anyone know if West Col (who published this guide) still exist?

iani 29 May 2024
In reply to gooberman-hill:

My guess is that Cicerone ended up with the West Col guide portfolio, but their Mercantour guide is for selected walks rather than Collombs comprehensive description of the area. The Collomb guide is worth getting if you can find one (Needlesports?). I went ~30 yrs ago and twice more recently. The Collomb guide is still valid, paths below high mountain level are very well maintained and have excellent signposting - it’s a great place to go and very accessible. There was a lot of infrastructure storm damage 3 or 4 yrs ago but that should all have been repaired by now - they were hard at it when we went 2 yrs ago. 

Timy2 31 May 2024

Ive been there several times walking and ski touring.  A couple of British lads had an old climbing guide book published in Britain, cant remember the name of it.

Doug 31 May 2024
In reply to Timy2:

When I went there in 1980 we had a copy of Robin Collomb's 'Maritime Alps, Vesubie Basin and Argentera: a Selection of Popular and Recommended Climbs' (published by West Col) which was published in the late 1960s, plus a slightly more recent French guidebook (which we could barely understand).  Lovely area & I'm surprised there's no in print English guidebook.

Thanks everyone for your help. I have to confess to owning not one but two copies of the Collomb guide - one heavily annotated with notes, and therefore way to valuable to actually take out on the hill, plus French and Italian guides to the area. 

I was looking to contact West Col to see if they might be interested in an update to the Collomb Guide. I know the area pretty well, having walked, climbed, run and skied there for close on 25 years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...