UKC

Midges in the Churnet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Quick naive question, never having been there: are the Churnet bouldering areas afflicted by midges in the summer in the same way that the grit edges are? Does it make for a good summer destination when the wind is low and/or in the wrong direction like at the moment? 

Lankyman 01 Jul 2021
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Midges in the Churnet? Ants in the pants, bee in your bonnet, fly in the ointment ....?

These are all questions for our time.

In reply to ChrisBrooke:

A regular can probably give better advice, but I've been once on a warm summer's day - it was nice and cool in the shade and midges weren't an issue (Wright's Rock area).

Si dH 01 Jul 2021
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Midges nothing like as bad as grit. You will get a few in places but generally you'll be able to avoid them fairly easily. I've never had a session there that they caused a problem for when I was going regularly. Although, I probably didn't go much in mid summer.

It's less good than limestone when hot, a bit of a breeze makes climbing easier but it's a lot better than hot grit.

Post edited at 13:33
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

The churnet is a good option when it's hot IMHO and is not as conditions dependent as grit (although in still humid conditions condensation can be a big problem). I have never encounter midges (unlike in grit where the can be horrendous) but mosquitoes can be a problem. Good news is a bit of repellent generally keeps them at bay. I was there last night and there were a few mozzies about.

In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Thanks for the replies all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...