UKC

Moelwyns parking warning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 27 May 2023

A week ago the parking for Wrysgan and Clipiau at the end of the road was full so we parked (along with lots of other cars) in an area down a lane on the left (see photo). This was a layby and more ground clearly delineated by boulders beyond a double yellow line. There were absolutely no notices saying no parking. When we returned we had a parking ticket. I intended to appeal but it seems that parking on a "verge" beyond double yellows is not allowed, so I am sure doing so is pointless. Seems ridiculous in this case and I assume all the other cars also got a ticket. Just be warned!

Myfyr Tomos 27 May 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

Wow. Good to know, parked there many times.

George_Surf 27 May 2023

Yep that’s how everyone is getting done in the ogwen. I had heard that that was because it was a clear way but maybe not? Shame they double yellowed that spot, you’re clearly not in the way but i guess maybe if it’s gridlocked it’s hard for cars to pass? 

Myfyr Tomos 27 May 2023
In reply to George_Surf:

It's usually quite tidy and civilised. ☺

OP Robert Durran 27 May 2023
In reply to George_Surf:

If a passing place were needed then there is plenty of room for one and lots of parking!

RobAJones 27 May 2023

> I intended to appeal but it seems that parking on a "verge" beyond double yellows is not allowed........ Just be warned!

I've also seen several cars get tickets for the same "offence" in the Buttermere. Seemed pretty harsh to me, but the rules are as you describe. 

DizzyT 27 May 2023

Likewise a hundred or so cars ticketed at Carsington water for parking on the grass verge behind double yellows. Ironically those who had broken the fence to park on the dam wall escaped.

In reply to DizzyT:

I wonder if the cars where I was which were on the tarmac layby or gravel were ticketed. Did I only get done for trying to tuck in onto the grass?!

Sam Beaton 27 May 2023

Double yellow lines means you can't park anywhere within the extent of the highway (ie the verge or road) on that side of the road. If you are outside the extent of the highway (ie on private land beyond the highway boundary) then you are outside the control of the council and the double yellow lines and can't be ticketed. Unfortunately it's not always obvious where the boundary between the highway verge and the private land is.

It won't have made any difference being on the grass or the tarmac. They do the same thing at mam tor. It's ridiculous, there is a perfectly usable space which doesn't block the road and noone can use it without risking a ticket. 

In reply to Sam Beaton:

> Double yellow lines means you can't park anywhere within the extent of the highway (ie the verge or road) on that side of the road.

Yes, as I found out, but I think an awful lot of people are, as I was, unaware of this. Hence my post!

ianstevens 27 May 2023

I hate to be mean, but there was a notice - the old double yellows. Guess it’s been covered in the rest of the post, and a harsh way to have a bit of a reminder as to how they work.

Any idea where is ok to park down there now?

Alex Riley 28 May 2023
In reply to Isabelle Booker:

The is a free car park on the right before you get to lakeside cafe.

Godwin 28 May 2023

Quite an interesting thread this. A couple of points strike me. One is that many of us do not seem to have as firm a grasp of the Highway Code as we maybe should have. My Father used to drive a lot and I recall him saying years ago, that I should buy a Highway Code book every couple of years, and reacquaint myself with it, and see if any rules had changed. As I get older I become more and more aware that my Father was not quite as stupid as my 19 year old self thought.
The other thing is the arbitrary way in which the Law in our country, I know Wales is a tad different, but I suspect it is similar enough is enforced. I am a Grandfather now and it infuriates me when I have to go into the road with the pram because pavements are blocked by cars, cars hurl past me on the motorway at Warp Factor 8, Cars Parked on double yellows, I could go on and on, but many laws seem unenforced. But your ticket does seem a tad unfair/ unjust, I can see no safety reason or traffic flow reason that it would be imperative that you get as ticket, and could more assume it has something to do with quotas, revenue generation or and this maybe be controversial, your car belonged to an outsider. Possibly a more consistent approach would feel fairer. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Post edited at 12:39
 Michael Hood 28 May 2023
In reply to Godwin:

A lot of this double yellow line stuff (which apparently doesn't need supporting signage to be enforceable) is local authority reaction to the "overcrowding of the countryside" that occurred during covid with loads of "city folk" taking staycations and discovering the countryside.

Unfortunately, extra restriction appears to be the only solution they understand.

Dave Williams 28 May 2023

My understanding is that the yellow lines are Gwynedd Council's specific response to local concerns. In recent years, such concerns are an oft repeated reason (ref Deiniolen's Bus Stop area, Bethesda's Gerlan area, etc) for local communities calling for more restrictive parking measures.  As elsewhere, such calls are not exclusively targetted at a specific usage such as off tarmac day-use car parking on grass verges as the OP and other posters have, perhaps not unreasonably, concluded. 

Previously the whole area in question had become a magnet for extended stay use. It was regularly used for overnight or longer parking by campervan users, some of whom were totally irresponsible in leaving litter, including dog and human faeces, as well as polluting the nearby stream. Noise was also an issue. According to a local climber I spoke with recently, visiting climbers and others were "really taking the piss", (some quite literally) and using the area for tent and van based wild camping.

As it's traditionally an area much used by locals, including children, and is on the edge of a residential area and overlooked by houses, matters came to a head here in the last year. Hence the relatively new imposition of double yellow lined parking restrictions for 2023.

Since 2020, the Moelwynion have become increasingly popular for both above and below ground activities and it should be noted that the limited available parking at the Dolrhedyn road head is normally full by 10.00, even mid week - and usually much earlier during public holidays and at weekends.

There is some alternative, free parking lower down at lake level, as mentioned earlier in this thread, but this obviously doesn't include the café car park during opening hours. Clearly the notes mentioning 'limited parking before the bridge' in the new Moelwynion guide are now incorrect and must be disregarded. 

Taken in isolation, the decision making behind the imposition of parking restrictions such as these can appear to be both bizarre and illogical.  Hopefully this clarifies matters.

Dave Williams 

BMC Cymru Local Access Rep, South Snowdonia and Central Wales

Post edited at 14:24
 Phil1919 28 May 2023

There are just too many cars, full stop.

Babika 28 May 2023
In reply to Michael Hood:

> A lot of this double yellow line stuff (which apparently doesn't need supporting signage to be enforceable) is local authority reaction to the "overcrowding of the countryside" that occurred during covid with loads of "city folk" taking staycations and discovering the countryside.

> Unfortunately, extra restriction appears to be the only solution they understand.

I agree, its very sad.

And the BMC response seems to support this kneejerk reaction.

But if the real problem is overnighting vans, wild camping and pollution rather than day use cars shouldn't the solution be creating more parking slots with a charge for, say, 4 or 8 hours? I know nobody likes paying for parking but it's better than having it taken away completely, and the revenue being used locally might help?

Dave Williams 28 May 2023
In reply to Babika:

And the BMC response seems to support this kneejerk reaction.

There is nothing "kneejerk" about a situation which has been increasingly ongoing for 3+ years, including signage erected by the local community requesting no overnight stays....

My post was supposed to be factual, explanatory and empathetic. No support for the Council's actions was stated, nor hopefully implied.

Babika 28 May 2023
In reply to Dave Williams:

Sorry Dave. I absolutely wasn't implying any fault on the part of the BMC. Your post is very factual and helpful. 

What I'm trying to say is that the default solution by authorities now is always "take away parking" rather than look at any more constructive or imaginative solutions to a pollution problem by a minority. 

Use of the countryside in greater numbers isn't going away, despite many councils and residents hoping it will. The solution is harmonious and respectful use.

planetmarshall 28 May 2023
In reply to Godwin:

> Quite an interesting thread this. A couple of points strike me. One is that many of us do not seem to have as firm a grasp of the Highway Code as we maybe should have. 

Another perhaps lesser known rule is that it is illegal to park on the side of the road where there are double white lines down the middle (whether there's a broken white line on your side or not), regardless of any markings at the side of the road.

Siward 28 May 2023
In reply to Babika:

> Use of the countryside in greater numbers isn't going away, despite many councils and residents hoping it will. The solution is harmonious and respectful use.

As I said on the Shiegra post I think the solution has got to be investment, park and rides, resilient paths etc but coupled with enforcement, a shame though it is, because as you say the numbers are only going one way. Who's going to pay for/have the political will to do that though?

Offwidth 28 May 2023
In reply to Dave Williams:

Thanks for your input Dave.

We cleared quite a few bottles and cans on Thursday and Friday and would have cleared more if we had rubbish bags and rubber gloves  (some nasty looking stuff). Some people are just disgusting. The weirdest bottle was a posh Glenlivet (15yr French Oak) our most pricey roadside trash tidying yet. Parking was busy and generally poor... not many other climbers about...we only saw a few bouderers.

Post edited at 18:08
 Godwin 28 May 2023
In reply to planetmarshall:

> Another perhaps lesser known rule is that it is illegal to park on the side of the road where there are double white lines down the middle (whether there's a broken white line on your side or not), regardless of any markings at the side of the road.

Yes you are correct. My Dad was perhaps wise in his advice, but I would never admit this to him. I once had to take a speed awareness course, and thought it a useful little reminder to jolt me out of bad habits. 
I shall depart now to peruse the Highway Code before watching £10 Poms.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...