UKC

Monte Cinto - in a day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pids 28 Nov 2017

Early stage of planning a trip to Corsica, wondered about the feasibility of disappearing from family holiday for a day to wander up Monte Cinto.

Seems to be doable in a day, early start, bit of a drive in, then hoof it up and down and drive back to family - anyone got any tips / anecdotes about Monte Cinto in a day?

Worth taking walking boots or are "trail" shoes good enough - imagine the scrambly bits are safe enough?

Also any general holiday recommendations for family holiday to Corsica?
Post edited at 15:30
 indigo 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Pids:
I did it from Haut Asco a few years back whilst doing the GR20. Up and back took us just under 9 hours. Our pace is about average, generally not fast not slow. I seem to remember a lot of scree so boots might be better. I think the new route of the GR20 goes up that way now with the closure of the Cirque de la Solitude. I remember a bit of a scramble on the summit ridge but nothing too taxing. Paglia Orba and Monte D'Oro were also very good if you have the time or inclination. Paglia Orba is a more serious scramble but very doable if you are confident and have a head for heights. Good luck. Mike
Post edited at 20:19
 Trangia 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Pids:
When are you going? My first attempt was in June and we were surprised to find snow and ice in the couloir you have to cross just before the summit. We didn't have ices axes, crampons or a rope and because of the steepness and slipperiness decided not to do it.

We returned two years later. again in June, and this time went up armed with ice axes and crampons and slogged up on a hot day to find not a trace of snow or ice, crossing the couloir and reaching the summit easily.

We wore boots, mainly because I find them more comfortable, but also as a protection against the maquis which is very prickly! Also the scree has a lot of small granite pebbles which in places were a bit like marbles to walk on!

No difficult scrambles, and you will do it easily up and down in a day.

Enjoy!
Post edited at 20:47
cb294 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Pids:

Boots for the scree, one day was easy from the trailhead on the south (?) side.

CB
Removed User 28 Nov 2017
In reply to indigo:

> I think the new route of the GR20 goes up that way now with the closure of the Cirque de la Solitude.

The Cirque de la Solitude is closed??? When, why, etc?

el diablo 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse:
Intriguing, I first went through it when I was 13 and my sister was 11 with my folks. Of course also a couple more times as an adult, why wouldn't anybody return to La Belle Corse?
 Pedro50 29 Nov 2017

> The Cirque de la Solitude is closed??? When, why, etc?

GR20 Closed at the Cirque de la Solitude. On 10th June 2015, during a period of bad weather, a landslide killed at least four trekkers in the Cirque de la Solitude, on the most difficult part of the GR20. ... The route of the GR20 through the Cirque is now CLOSED until further notice, and must not be approached
Removed User 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Pedro50:

Thanks. I hadn't heard that. Aside from the tragedy of the deaths it's a shame one of the highlights of the GR20 is now off limits or unsafe.
 Pedro50 29 Nov 2017

Agreed. We insisted on free climbing it, ignoring the chains and the 20ft ladder.
 Sean Kelly 29 Nov 2017
In reply to Pids:
If memory serves me correct we started up from the end of the track up from Calacussio, about 6 hrs to top which has a big metal cross and flowering alpines, gentians I think. We had snow but no problem to cross.
info here http://www.corsica-isula.com/mountains.htm#Mountain%20Walking
Post edited at 17:44
 Chris_Mellor 30 Nov 2017
In reply to Pids:

Monte Cinto is easily do-able in a day. I did it and I'm crap. made early start from north coast and drove in to start of the ascent.
OP Pids 01 Dec 2017
In reply to all:

Cheers all - booked the flights, going in busy July, now just need to get accommodation sorted - thanks for confirming that Monte Cinto is a reasonable escape for a day plan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...