UKC

More Dolomites questions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sealwife 07 May 2023

Heading out to Italy last week of July, first week of August with my family.  That is with Mr S and three mostly grown-up offspring aged 20, 18 and 15 for what will likely be our last family holiday all together.  Nobody is about to cark it or anything, it’s just that I can’t see the oldest two wanting to come on holiday with us again.

I’m looking for accommodation for 10 days or so of our fortnight.  We are flying in and out of Venice so will have a look around there for the remainder of our time.

Have been looking at various booking sites and Air bnb.  Pretty much discounted the area in and immediately around Cortina as it’s outrageously expensive and way beyond our budget.

Have a shortlist of a few different apartments in more outlying/less expensive areas.  I’m finding it hard to get information about what these areas are like and whether we’d need to hire a car for the whole trip (I’m resigned to the fact that we’ll likely need one for at least part of the time).

Areas in question are Pieve di Cadone, San Martino, Cencenighe, Igne, Velthurno. Arabba.  Nicest looking accommodation is in Pieve but not sure what kind of area this is (town/village/access to good walks etc)

Im aware I’m not likely to find anything that ticks all my boxes.  Any pointers on which areas would be good?  We are not planning anything heroic - some via ferrata perhaps, mountain walking, trail running, maybe swim in a lake, general touristy things (20 year old not as into active stuff as rest of us)

AlanLittle 07 May 2023
In reply to Sealwife:

San Martino di Castrozza itself is a tacky ski resort but the climbing in the Pala is fantastic. Often better rock quality than further north, and being further from Germany and not in Rockfax it's generally quieter too.

Agordo / Forno di Zoldo might also be worth a look. Again, great climbing, hiking, VF's but slightly off the beaten tourist track compared to Cortina, Sella etc. And a bit closer if you're driving from Venice.

Post edited at 11:34
 Moacs 07 May 2023
In reply to Sealwife:

The sellajochhaus might fit your needs

mbh 07 May 2023
In reply to Sealwife:

The Trincee via ferrata, most easily accessible by cable lift from Arabba, is terrific. A tricky start (as I recall from 2014) but constantly interesting with WW1 stuff along the way, including a tunnel so take torches, and then a beautiful flower-filled and easy way back to the cable car.

https://www.dolomiti.org/en/marmolada/experiences/vie-ferratearrampicate/vi...

OP Sealwife 07 May 2023
In reply to mbh:

Thank you all for your replies.  Have just been loaned a handful of maps and some Cicerone guides by a friend I hadn’t realised had been to the area.

Will be doing a lot of reading.

kaiser 07 May 2023
In reply to Sealwife:

It will be busy!  You know that already perhaps...

beardy mike 08 May 2023
In reply to Sealwife:

You've certainly picked places off the beaten track!

Pieve di Cadore, its been a very long time since I was there. It on the main drag to cortina, and you have Antelao, Sorapiss and the back of pelmo close by. Plus the Friuli Dolomites. All of these as less well travelled areas with far fewer foreigners, more Italian footfall.

San Martino as someone has already said has the Pale di San Martino to the east, but also the less known Lagorai massif to the west. Although I've not explored it in a meaningful way, it's very beautiful and different from most of the Dolomites in that it is an area of granitic rocks and it feels far more like Scotland, with lakes and ponds rather than the more arid limestone areas.

Cenchenigue is a bit of a sleepy place. It's sandwiched between the ramparts of Civetta and the Pale di San Lucano in a deep valley. Walks will be high elevation unless you drive. But you do have some nice stuff around you. Civetta is stunning, and you can access the range from Val Corpassa or from Alleghe. Ot there is a hard VF (think is called Fiame Gialla) which climbs the vast wall directly above the town. You also can go west to Falcade where you can walk on col margarita or on the northern side of the valley towards Cima d'Auta. Quite green and rolling terrain until you get high. Or there is Val di Gares which accesses the southern side of Pale di San Martino. Quite an impressive cirque. Looking south there is Moiazza, give hard VF on that, or monte agner. This presents the largest height gain of any valley in the Dolomites, its a pretty wild place and not well known. Also Agordo is the local main town and nice for a potter. North you have Alleghe which is a nice town by a lake with pedalos an ice rink and restaurants.

Igne I personally wouldn't bother with. Too low and isolated from the main mountains. You'll be driving all the time and the drive to passo staulanza where you can get to pelmo is long and windy. Just too far out of the action.

Same goes for velturno really. It's a motorway exit primarily. To get there from Venice you'd have to bash motorway for maybe 4 hours? You'd be better off flying to Verona or Innsbruck. But even then you'd want to drive into the mountains which will inevitably lead you to val gardena which will be heaving, and to get to the good bits, that will mean sitting in traffic. That said the western Dolomites are beautiful, as long as you ignore the crowds.

Arabba is a small ski town. It's pretty and high up. Have lots going on around you, mtb on the sellaronda, various vf, nice walking around settsass and col di lana with incredible history. If it were my money, for a family holiday with mixed abilities and interests, this is where I'd go. This or Alleghe rather than Cenchenigue. I'd point you at my apartments but we're fully booked around then. Good luck and if need more help, let me know.

beardy mike 08 May 2023
In reply to Moacs:

Not anymore unless you want a 4 star hotel with an infinity pool. It's very bloody nice but the old cai hut went 8-10 years ago...

yelotango 08 May 2023
In reply to Sealwife:

Have you looked at Val di Fassa - Pozza or Pera di fassa are cheaper than Cortina. lots of facilities - waterparks / spas / high rope courses. Bolzano is an easy day trip on a bus. Lots of VF in the Catanaccio. Trincee is an easy(ish) walk from the Marmolada side with good public transport. I can think of a dozen VF within 30mins that can be reached with public transport - from easy mountain walks to the some of the hardest (Piazetta & Magnifci Quattro) in the dolomites.

OP Sealwife 08 May 2023
In reply to beardy mike:

Thank you so much for such a detailed and helpful reply.  

Currently struggling to find accommodation - at this rate we will be daytripping from Venice!

beardy mike 08 May 2023
In reply to Sealwife:

What are the dates? I can check with my manager as she has other accommodation other than mine...

Moacs 08 May 2023
In reply to beardy mike:

Sad face.

For two reasons... one that the huts has gone, and the other because it means it's over a decade ago that I was last there...

beardy mike 08 May 2023
In reply to Moacs:

I got caught out by it when we booked ahead thinking it was going be a cheap and cheerful hut and it turned out to be a load of dough. Happy mistake when we ended up swimming after a days walking with a stonking view of the mountains.

OP Sealwife 08 May 2023
In reply to beardy mike: Looking for 10 nights  ideally (flexible though) either starting 23/07 or ending 05/08.

There will be 5 of us, 4 adults and a 15 year old.

Its our intention to have a look around Venice for a few days at either the beginning or end of our trip but we’ve not booked anything there yet, hence we have some wiggle room re dates.

beardy mike 08 May 2023
In reply to Sealwife:

I'll check with a few friends around our valley. Maybe they know of something. It's nearly the busiest time in the summer!

OP Sealwife 08 May 2023
In reply to beardy mike:

I would appreciate that very much.  Will let you know if I find something meantime 

beardy mike 08 May 2023
In reply to Sealwife:

I've got a maybe for you. He's asking his wife this evening. They used to run a b and b until a year ago but said to me last year sometimes they will take guests... we'll see. 

RX-78 08 May 2023
In reply to Sealwife:

No advice on where but just i would be careful of tour assumption about being the last family holiday! My 25 and soon to be 22 year old will happily come on family holidays if it involves outdoor things, especially skiing when they are usually freeloaders.

OP Sealwife 08 May 2023
In reply to RX-78:

Ha ha, I strongly suspect that’s the case with my 20 year old this time, she hasn’t been on a trip with us since 2017, the last time we left the country.

For some reason a static caravan near Inverness wasn’t so appealing to her.

OP Sealwife 08 May 2023
In reply to beardy mike:

I’m also waiting to hear back about a flat in Arabbas

beardy mike 08 May 2023
In reply to Sealwife:

You have mail...

OP Sealwife 08 May 2023
In reply to beardy mike:

So have you..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...