UKC

Morocco - Walkie Talkies

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Has anyone been to Morocco in recent years and taken walkie talkies?

I remember getting quizzed by customs last time I went (I didn't have them but it sounded like they were prohibited) but that was 12 years ago...

In reply to featuresforfeet:

Can't answer your question I'm afraid, but in a related note I was surprised how good the mobile phone coverage was in seemingly remote and quiet parts of the anti atlas last year. 

Someone pointed out to me the considerable numbers of phone/radio masts/aerials and explained that it is a lit easier and cheaper for them to get phone services to remote areas/dwellings by sticking masts on prominent hill tops than by installing miles and miles of cables and tens of thousands of telegraph poles.

Jamie Wakeham 16 Mar 2018

I had a set in my hand luggage when we went a couple of weeks ago. They weren't picked up on or mentioned at all. Agadir customs did pull me aside, but only to ask if I had a camera. When I showed them my little point'n'shoot they just waved me through.

Jamie Wakeham 16 Mar 2018
In reply to mountain.martin:

Did you manage to get a UK registered phone to work out there? We simply couldn't get ours to play ball at all - they said they were connected to whatever local service, but didn't actually work. We were told that we'd need local SIM cards. 

Of course this could be as much TalkTalk's fault as Morocco's!

In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

My phone (ee/t mobile) worked fine for texting without any setting up. Not sure if I tried voice calls, but assumed that would have worked as my phone was showing good coverage in a lot of areas.

Great - thanks!

Martin Bennett 16 Mar 2018

If you mean Anti Atlas Jamie - yes, never had a problem with Vodafone. Not everywhere of course but pretty reasonable on the whole. Not bad when you consider Vodafone doesn't wok at all in a place as remote as Milnthorpe!

scott titt 17 Mar 2018

We were stopped in November and asked if we had radios, we didn't so can't say any more. Apparently drones are a complete no-no.

Jamie Wakeham 17 Mar 2018

It strikes me that they didn't know we had radios (they certainly didn't search our luggage, or ask about them) and I have no idea what would have happened if they had found them.  Now Scott mentions it, they did ask if we had a drone.

God knows what was up with our phones. We finally got a 'Welcome to Morocco' text when we landed at Stansted!

Lakeslina 17 Mar 2018

Yes, they've taken to asking about drones, because they're now banned unless you have a Moroccan licence. We had to show airport security that the large amount of metal in our luggage at new year was climbing gear not a drone (we left the Christmas present drone at home, having checked the rules in advance!).

Never had any problems using a UK sim with Vodafone/local network in Morocco.

NaCl 17 Mar 2018

I was in Tafraout in Jan with the o.h. and had radios with us. Never even gave a thought that it could be considered a problem. They were just chucked in a random bag of electronics (like chargers and such) in the hold bag. We were asked if we had a drone (no) and they asked about my DSLR but didn't make an issue of it after we said it was just for snapshots. Maybe we got lucky or maybe we just didn't look suspicious - thank god we were wearing our England shirts and union jack shorts and not our usual camo' fatigues.

Dave 17 Mar 2018
In reply to featuresforfeet

I was just there and, though we didn’t have them, seem to remember reading they are not allowed or have to be declared or something. Careful with your phone use - I got a 1900Eur bill for 300Mb of data...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...