UKC

Morocco, Anti Atlas, Tafraoute, Adrar Mkorn / Mgourn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 silverdarling 06 Jan 2018
hi,

Has anyone climbed/peak bagged Adrar Mkorn / Adrar Mgourn , close to Tafraoute in Moroccan anti-atlas ? I'm wondering how exposed/difficult a scramble up it might be.

Courtesy of Hamish Brown (i think) Rough Guide to Morocco gives one sentence -

"Adrar Mkorn (2344m), an isolated peak to the southeast with spectacular twin tops (this involves some hard scrambling)"

Cicerone's 'Climbing in the Moroccan Anti-Atlas: Tafroute' gives a basic route description but doesn't mention any scrambling/climbing -

"The route is unmarked from the village and steepens at a couloir towards the summit"

Any infos would be much appreciated. thanks.
 PaulTanton 06 Jan 2018
In reply to silverdarling:
Hi, have you seen the other posts on here regarding climbing in Morocco? Basically it’s a Climbers paradise.
As for scrambling, I’m sure there would be enough to keep you going most of your life. As for a scrambling guide mmmmm I’ve never seen one. A good os type map for the ani atlas would be very useful, but never seen one. I guess Emma and Paul’s guide to the North side and Steve Broadbent for the South would help with scrambling possibilities and maps. Try Morocco Rock and Climb Tafroute on Facebook.
As I said on the other post climbing in the anti atlas is wonderful.

Go and enjoy it.
 Robert Durran 07 Jan 2018
In reply to silverdarling:
If it's the one I'm thinking of, I think I climbed it it about 15 years ago. Easy scramble and nice view point.

I have to admit that I was slightly underwhelmed by the area in general though. Climbing seemed a just a little bit nondescript, and I've met others who agree - certainly nowhere near world class. Worth a visit, but I'm not chomping at the bit to go back. But maybe we didn't make the most if it.
Post edited at 11:48
 Martin Bennett 07 Jan 2018
In reply to PaulTanton:

> Hi, have you seen the other posts on here regarding climbing in Morocco? Basically it’s a Climbers paradise.

> As for scrambling, I’m sure there would be enough to keep you going most of your life. As for a scrambling guide mmmmm I’ve never seen one. A good os type map for the ani atlas would be very useful, but never seen one.

> As I said on the other post climbing in the anti atlas is wonderful.

Oxford Alpine Club (Climb Tafraout) do a series of !:50000 maps of the area, one of which (no 4, titled "Tafraout") has Adrar Mqorn. It doesn't show any paths to the top however. I understand a walking and scrambling guide book is in preparation but don't know when it'll be in the shops.

As for the quality of the experience of climbing and walking and just being in the area, having only yet been 14 times it's a bit soon for me to say!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...