/ Morocco in April?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Freshprintce 10 Oct 2019

I'm trying to get a trip planned for April, hopefully somewhere a little adventurous and was thinking about Morocco, specifically the Tafraoute area. I've read Jack's destination guide which is a great overview of the area. 

However, has anyone been in early April before?, is it too hot? is a week long enough? and any idea what to budget?

If anyone with experience of the area could provide some info that would be much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Will

dunnyg 10 Oct 2019
In reply to Freshprintce:

I went in January and it was hard work in the sun, and a bit nippy in the shade. I imagine it would be too warm in the sun and maybe ok in the shade in April, but I don't know for sure. I went on fieldwork nearby a few years ago and it hit 35 a few times, not sure I would have wanted to be climbing! If it does get too hot, you can always bail to the coast and go surfing.

In terms of quality of place to go, it is a nice level of adventure, i.e. easy logistics, but you are on your own if you break yourself, so it can still feel "out there" a bit. I didn't do any amazing routes, I was climbing generally <vs, but the setting and the adventure more than make up for it. I think we went for about 10 days, which was a reasonable amount of time. If you can stretch your trip to 9 days including flights, you should manage to get plenty done. Loads of new routes to be done if you are into that.
I've said before on here, but avoid driving at night, it just isn't worth it!

Price wise, I think we paid about 20-25 a night for a double room in a really nice little b and b, with your own mini apartment place, which I would highly recommend (Maison Tigmi Ozro). Owner really helpful and good pancakes and honey every day. There are cheaper places around, but I would stay there again if I went back. Food is pretty cheap, we ate out all the time. Plenty of bread and fruit for lunches.

Dave Cundy 10 Oct 2019

Our club's been going there for years.  The optimum time seems to be the end of March / early April.  At the other end of the season, it's late October / early November.  The spring time slot gives the advantage of longer days.

Martin Bennett 10 Oct 2019

Just booked up for our 19th trip to Tafraoute. Half of those have been in the Spring - anytime from mid March to a week or two into April - best flight prices are usually the deciding factor. For me it's the best time of year. It can be hot some days but usually breezy or shaded crags can be found. Note most of the shady ones are on the North side of the Jebel el Kest massif so if staying in Tafraoute a bit of driving is required to find the plum venue for the day. I went once in late April and it WAS getting a bit 'ot by then, but we still climbed every day.

Accommodation in a twin room in Tafraoute varies from about £8 to £20 per person per night. Somewhere in the middle lies our comfort level, which is not to say the cheaper end won't provide you with a good kip.

If not included a good breakfast can be had in the town for around £4.00; dinner from £8.00. Bread and fruit etc for lunch are practically for nothing. The only things for which to budget European prices are car hire, fuel and beer!

A week's good but as most operators flying there do two flights per week we usually opt for the 11 or 12 day return flights giving 9 or 10 days to climb - it's possible you'll lose one or two to poor weather, even so close to the desert. Have a great trip if you get there.

Freshprintce 10 Oct 2019

Thanks all for your info, that's really helpful. 

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.