UKC

Morocco Trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JCLeeds 11 Jun 2014
So it looks like I'm planning a trip with my GF to Morocco (possibly Marrakesh) around Oct/Nov time. I'll only have a day to get out climbing but was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a relatively new roped climber, I've a small Trad Rack and 50m 10.2 rope though I'm not sure I'd want to take the full rack, might stick to sport stuff.

Any advice on places to visit/stay/where to climb would be great, I'm probably going to be going alone so might need to find a partner whilst I'm there.

Thanks!

James
 Ander 11 Jun 2014
In reply to JCLeeds:

I'm not sure there's much you could do with only a day based out of Marrakech.
 Ander 11 Jun 2014
 GridNorth 11 Jun 2014
In reply to JCLeeds:

All the climbing I am aware of is a days travel away from Marrakesh either to the North where there is some "Sport" or to the South and Jebel el Kest which is predominantly trad. Finding a partner out there could also be problematical. I was in Jebel el Kest for two weeks and didn't see another single climber.
 Kemics 11 Jun 2014
In reply to JCLeeds:

The only place i've heard of near Marrakesh is Todra Gorge

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=766 Ukc did a destination article. But it's says it's 5-8 hours from Marrakesh...so probably not worth it for a single day. If you could do 2 days or more, might be worth the trip.

The rest of the developed climbing afaik is in the anti-atlas mountains and is definite trip in it's self (i'd totally recommend it!) but literally nothing for non-climbers or even rest days
 Kemics 11 Jun 2014
In reply to GridNorth:

yeah good point. Would need to give the GF a crash course in belaying...finding a partner is a slim possibility. Might be able to arrange it online, but at least in the south, if you rock up at the crag ...you'll be alone
 victorclimber 11 Jun 2014
In reply to JCLeeds:

agree with everyone else you aint going to get anything done with just a day and in Marrakesh
In reply to JCLeeds:

Check out www.climbmorocco.com - a great website and guiding company run by two Americans based in Marrakech. They're probably your best bet for finding venues / partners in that part of Morocco.
OP JCLeeds 17 Jun 2014
In reply to JCLeeds:

Thanks for all the tips, going to email the ClimbMorocco guys and maybe go solo with those guys!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...