UKC

Mystery quarry near Darlington

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Neftechalar 15 Jul 2007
There is a small qaurry just on the left of the A1, heading north, about 6 miles south of Darlington. It looks to be grit or sandstone, I was wondering if it's a climbing spot? Didn't have time to see if it was working or not, just looked to have some pretty nice arretes.

cheers
bergalia 15 Jul 2007
In reply to Neftechalar:

If it's the one I'm thinking of - no, not sandstone but a peculiar limestonbe - ful of fossils - and when I was there (1980's) old car boddies and scrap. But yes some good faces and chimneys (about 25 - 30 foot). Excellent practice grounds.
Or there is/was another group of low rock in a wedge-shaped field nearer to Darlo...ranging from 15 - 30 foot, quite overgrown - but offering a variety of moves - including a low level traverse of some 1,000 yards.
Owner used to be a bit 'touchy' unless prior permission gained.
Just before this field there is/was a turn-off - the back road to Barnard Castle. Quite a few good scrambles along there.
bergalia 15 Jul 2007
In reply to bergalia:

Sorry about the spelling errors in the baove message. Just got up - and my fingers are freezing. I also forgot to mention the 'superb' overhang problem in the 'triangular' field. A 'beak' which can be approached from three different angles. Good luck.
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 15 Jul 2007
In reply to Neftechalar:

Do you mean Barton Interchange?

Situated 2 miles north of Scotch Corner.

Nick Dixon used to train there. Recent years access was impossible due to construction site offices. Recent landscaping may have changed a lot of things but it used to be okay.

I would be interested in hearing how you get on.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 15 Jul 2007
In reply to Neftechalar:

As Steve says it is Barton Interchange.

The rock is limestone, and is composed almost exclusively of crinoid fossils, making for sharp finger climbing, they do occasionally snap though!
We used to boulder there back in the late 1960s and doubt very much that we were first.
I was a bit saddened to see they had started reworking the left-hand end about 10 years ago.

Chris
OP Neftechalar 15 Jul 2007
In reply to Steve Crowe:

Iv'e checked on Google earth, I think it's the small quarry on the left, about a mile north of Scotch Corner and just past the Barton turn off. Is it listed in any database?
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 18 Jul 2007
In reply to Neftechalar:

I doubt that you will find it on any database.

I know that the crag was mentioned in an old Stu Wilson guide but no climbs were described just that it is suitable for training. Nick Dixon is the main man for more info.

Steve

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...