UKC

N Wales campsite recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si dH 28 Jun 2021

Can anyone recommend somewhere? I'm planning to take my son (3 nearly 4) for his first camping trip this weekend, but haven't been camping in N Wales for over 15 years and that was just Nant Peris...

It needs to be somewhere with reasonably modern, clean facilities. A small shop would be a bonus. Easy driving distance (20-30 minutes) from the Porthmadog railway and close to some bouldering would be ideal

Thanks!

spenser 28 Jun 2021
In reply to Si dH:

The Beddgelert campsite might be the ticket?

https://www.beddgelertcampsite.co.uk/

OP Si dH 28 Jun 2021
In reply to spenser:

Thanks - looks good so I'll keep it in mind for future, but seems to be full

Neil Williams 28 Jun 2021
In reply to Si dH:

Is Gwern Gof Isaf back open yet?  If so that.  Doesn't have much in the way of facilities though they are clean, but it does have more of a family friendly atmosphere these days.

Post edited at 20:55
 Myfyr Tomos 28 Jun 2021
In reply to Si dH:

Cae Gwyn farm, Trawsfynydd LL41 4YE is basic but good. Less than 30 min from Porthmadog. Shop in the village and convenient for the Rhinogydd and Coed y Brenin Forest. Bouldering at Carreg yr Ogof, Trawsfynydd - 4 miles.

Post edited at 21:21
 HannahC 29 Jun 2021
In reply to Neil Williams:

Yes its open and has online booking form. Although it looks like they are fully booked for the coming weekend.  

mattck 29 Jun 2021
In reply to Si dH:

Llyn Gwynant is in a beautiful spot and has great facilities, though they may be fully booked. 

OP Si dH 29 Jun 2021
In reply to Si dH:

Thanks all, I've ended up booking somewhere by the beach near Porthmadog. Everywhere suggested except Cae Gwyn is already full; Traws is just that bit further to go via the A55 and I'm not keen to drive him across country due to car sickness. I'll remember the suggestions for the future, and to book them early, cheers!

spenser 29 Jun 2021
In reply to Si dH:

Hopefully we will be back to normal booking procedures next year so you won't need to think weeks ahead! 

ianstevens 29 Jun 2021
In reply to mattck:

> Llyn Gwynant is in a beautiful spot and has great facilities, though they may be fully booked. 

Am I the only person that thinks this place is awful? It’s a bog everywhere(it is literally a floodplain) and seems to have 95% of the midges in Eryri. To add its pretty expensive (relatively).

mattck 01 Jul 2021
In reply to ianstevens:

You might be right. I've only visited in a van, and have enjoyed my time there.

afx22 01 Jul 2021
In reply to ianstevens:

I’ve camped there a few time and really like it and have managed to avoid any boggy areas.  

The only issue I’ve had is where I once went on a bank holiday weekend and they crammed more and more people in.  It was way too much.  Too many people camped close together and not enough parking.  If you went off climbing for the day you often couldn’t get parked when you got back.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...