UKC

Nepal - Getting off the Beaten Track

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 edd_5 19 Sep 2019

Hi, I'm heading out to Nepal in October for 5 weeks. Looking for some advice on where would be good to explore that's off the beaten track (I'm hoping to avoid the summer season hoards). Looking to do some trekking with a few peaks chucked in. I spend a lot of time walking in summer and winter in Scotland/UK so navigation etc is not a problem but don't know much about glacial travel. Thanks in advance!!

TobyA 19 Sep 2019
In reply to edd_5:

I didn't think Nepal had a "summer season" in the mountains? From my vague memories of when I went there, October is prime trekking season - once the monsoon has cleared. That and the glacial travel bit makes me worry you haven't done much research on this! Are you thinking of trying to climb proper snowy Himalayan mountains on your own?

OP edd_5 19 Sep 2019
In reply to TobyA:

I have done no research, hence the post!! I'm not going to be doing anything outside of my experience, ie glaciated snowy peaks on my own, I was more thinking peaks that will be manageable using my Scottish Winter experience. I appreciate that their seasons are driven by the monsoon, but from my limited research I understand that high season is when it is generally warmer and drier hence my reference to summer. Do you have any experience where might be good to explore based on the above?!

Duncan Bourne 19 Sep 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Yup Nepal doesn't really have a summer season.

Having said that Monsoon trekking isn't bad, just different.

It generally rains for a few hours in the morning and then stops.

Things to bear in mind though are roads maybe out. Not necessarily a huge problem. We just crossed over the landslide to another bus but the possiblity that your road is impassable is always present.

Leeches are WAY more active in monsoon season.

We didn't do any glacier crossing as the weather was too unpredictable.

Duncan Bourne 19 Sep 2019
In reply to edd_5:

It depends on what you mean by "off the beaten track". You are better off keeping to the beaten track in my experience. However there are a few areas that are not the honeypots that others are. Langtang is a relatively "local" peak that doesn't draw the same attention as Everest or Annapurna and the start of the trail can be reached easily by bus.

However my knowledge is way out of date so things may have changed in terms of popularity

David Coley 19 Sep 2019
In reply to edd_5:

What I have found that works is either go mid winter, or buy a map and mark the main trekking routes in lonely planet etc, then walk the adjacent valleys, popping over onto the main trail when needed or to visit certain sights.

Tom Briggs 19 Sep 2019
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

Langtang's actually really popular as it's so close to Kathmandu.

If you've got the time Kangchenjunga N/S base camps takes some beating.

Cheese Monkey 19 Sep 2019
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

Yes several years ago I went to the Langtang region for a few weeks and had a great time. Intended to go solo but met a German chap on the bus who was a good laugh. Was planning on doing the Ganja La pass but there was way too much snow for what I had brought with me. Went up to Morimoto base camp instead which was great but split from my German mate. Caught him up again further down the valley around Laurebina. Would camp and do the remote Pokhari trek if I ever go again. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...