UKC

Non-EU destinations in April

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

We were hoping to get a trip to the Verdon booked in for April, but with the %^&$storm that is Brexit, we've got no idea if flights will be going, we'll be allowed in etc etc etc. So for less stress we'd like to go for somewhere non-EU.

Ideally we want fun multi-pitch in a great location (sport or trad), although we could be persuaded by sport cragging if its awesome. Doable in a week and a half and not roasting hot.

Any ideas UKCmind?

Dave Garnett 28 Sep 2018
In reply to willworkforfoodjnr:

> So for less stress we'd like to go for somewhere non-EU.

Cornwall is nice at that time of year and ticks all your boxes.

In reply to Dave Garnett:

Yeah, Cornwall/Pembroke are definitely on the maybe list!

skog 28 Sep 2018

Wadi Rum.

Not sure that it will just be EU flights affected, if there are problems, though.

In reply to skog:

Funily enough, we just got back from Rum last week! Absolutely amazing trip, would recommend to anyone

Andy Gamisou 28 Sep 2018

Norway?  You could presumably get ferry in case of flight problems.

skog 28 Sep 2018
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

There aren't any passenger ferries to Norway (or Sweden) from the UK any more.

nacnud 28 Sep 2018
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

No passenger ferries from UK to Scandinavia, only freight. 

jwi 28 Sep 2018

(OT: No deal is a threat that can not be classified as credible.)

On Topic: Gorges du Taghia in Morocco is a good alternative to Gorges du Verdon. Taghia is one of the few places in the world with multipitch sport climbing that can rival what is offered in Verdon. April is borderline early for Taghia.

GDes 29 Sep 2018
In reply to jwi:

The climbing is really that good is it? All multi pitch or both? 

Andy Gamisou 29 Sep 2018
In reply to nacnud:, skog;

> No passenger ferries from UK to Scandinavia, only freight. 

Really?  Bummer.

jwi 29 Sep 2018
In reply to GDes:

Yes, the climbing in Taghia is exceptional. In the gite there was a hand drawn topo for a crag with single pitch routes in the sevens and eights. This was 3 years ago, and I'm sure there's much more cragging now, but we only did long routes. The classics there are out of this world, and on rock quality and in situations that beats everywhere else I've climbed except Verdon (but I've never been to Wendenstöck/Rätikon).

wintertree 29 Sep 2018
In reply to skog:

> There aren't any passenger ferries to Norway (or Sweden) from the UK any more.

There was talk last year of the Newcastle-Stavanger ferry returning last year, that had me quite excited.  It’s a really tough time for ferry operators though it seems.

skog 29 Sep 2018
In reply to wintertree:

I saw that. I don't think there's anything concrete, yet, though.

It would be great if it did restart.

GDes 30 Sep 2018
In reply to skog:

That rumour has been circulating for years now, to no avail.  We went dover calais, and did the drive up through Denmark

HeMa 30 Sep 2018

If you want to do Verdon, then do so. 

What ever happens with Brexit, it’ll a few years before anything will be different. Sure, you’ll need a passport to fly, but you have needed that in anycase. Same with a ferry. 

In reply to HeMa:

We're just not willing to risk not being able to drive, or the flights getting cancelled etc - it just close enough to the actual leaving date that anything ridiculous that happens will be then!

Taghia looks pretty much perfect though! I'm going to put it to the guys - thanks all!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...