UKC

North Wales walk suggestions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sharp 07 Oct 2019

Heading to Wales for a few days holiday at the end of the month and looking for walking suggestions. I've been once before but didn't stay long and don't know the area at all. I have got the impression that roadside sleeping in the back of the car is more trouble than it's worth south of the border so we'll be poshing it up in a campsite just SW of Bangor.

Does anyone have any suggestions for non-technical 6-8 hour long walks around that area that might be nice? Not sure how busy it is around there at that time of year but we'd rather avoid popular/crowded routes.

In reply to Sharp:

Difficult to advise without knowing your nav experience and walking speed. Have a look at the Carneddau, the Glyderau, the Nantlle ridge and the Rhinogydd.

Planning a circular route rather than simple 'out and back' can be the tricky bit. 

The only places likely to be truly 'crowded' are the main paths and summit of Snowdon, and maybe North Ridge of Tryfan, particularly at weekends.

P.s. back of car sleeping's not a major issue in North Wales if you can park away from traffic.

Post edited at 16:16
OP Sharp 07 Oct 2019
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Thanks, I'll have a look at those. Doesn't have to be a circular route. Very much a holiday after a long summer and not a walking trip so not looking to break any speed records just looking forward to taking a stroll somewhere new. My partner isn't particularly fit although she's coped well when she's had a day's scottish winter walking thrown at her and enjoys pushing herself with a long day when we get out together. We had thought about heading up Snowden on one day which although not appealing to our enjoyment of remote places might be interesting to see non-the-less.

I'm not much of a navigator these days if I'm honest with myself, I don't walk enough to practice anything longer distance but if I'm out and about it'll usually be in winter and I'd be confident pacing myself off the cairngorm plateu in poor winter conditions. That area in N. Wales looks quite featured and distinctive on the map so hopefulyl we wont have too much trouble getting about safely

Cheese Monkey 07 Oct 2019
In reply to Sharp:

A bit shorter but an excellent circular walk particularly if the cloud is on the main tops. 

I've done it twice and will be doing it again.

https://www.mudandroutes.com/routes/moel-y-dyniweyd/

OP Sharp 07 Oct 2019
In reply to Cheese Monkey:

Thanks, that looks ideal if the weather's a bit grim

Cheese Monkey 08 Oct 2019
In reply to Sharp:

You're welcome. Worth doing in great weather too!

alan moore 08 Oct 2019
In reply to Sharp:

The Nanttle Ridge is one of the best hill walks I've ever done; like a miniature version of the Mamores but with far more interest. Always quiet. Takes a bit of savvy to avoid too much road walking back to the start.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...