UKC

'Old Man of...' place names?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 a crap climber 14 Apr 2022

Had a slightly silly conversation earlier about a tick list of all the 'Old man of such and such' places. Ones that I know of are:

Old Man of Hoy

Old Man of Stoer 

Old Man of Storr

Old Man of Coniston

Anyone know of any more to add to the list? Google has proven extremely unhelpful so far, but that might just be down to poor search terms. If there are any more I figured the UKC collective will know 

In reply to a crap climber:

Am Bodach (The Old Man) at the east end of Aonach Eagach in Glencoe

65 14 Apr 2022

> Old Man of Coniston

I was sternly corrected by a local for referring the Old Man of Consiton. It's strictly Coniston Old Man apparently.

Grahame N 14 Apr 2022

The Old Man of Moy  The Old Man of Moy (6a+)

A fine route.

alan moore 14 Apr 2022

Old Man River.

DaveHK 14 Apr 2022

What about all the old women?

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/munros/a-chailleach-monadhliath

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/caisteal_abhail-309/ceum_na_cailli...

Quite a few chailleachs and such like about.

Post edited at 16:54
 Mark Bull 14 Apr 2022

I think you have all the “Old Man of” places covered now, but if you want to widen the search to just “Old Man” or “Am Bodach” , try here https://gazetteer.org.uk/map/

Gemmazrobo 14 Apr 2022

Old man of Wick

Kevster 14 Apr 2022

Does old Harry count? Near Swanage. 

wintertree 14 Apr 2022

Not a place, but an object.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Man_of_the_Lake

65 14 Apr 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

> Quite a few chailleachs and such like about.

One in the Gulf of Corryvreckan too, though you're in big trouble if you actually see it.

Le Sapeur 14 Apr 2022

Old man of...

Fleet.

Muchalls.

Wick.

Noss.

Dale.

Slackboot 15 Apr 2022

Not places but:

Old Man of the Sea - a character in The Arabian Nights

Old Man of the Moors  - a Sexton Blake novel.

Post edited at 06:30
 deepsoup 15 Apr 2022

There's a small insignificant block of gritstone on the moor between the Rivelin and Redmires on the outskirts of West Sheffield marked on the OS map as 'Head Stone' - that's known more colloquially as "T'owd Man's 'Ed"

Luke90 15 Apr 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

Which head?

Dave Hewitt 15 Apr 2022
In reply to Slackboot:

> Not places but:

> Old Man of the Sea - a character in The Arabian Nights

> Old Man of the Moors  - a Sexton Blake novel.

My Old Man's a dustman

Martin Bennett 15 Apr 2022
In reply to 65:

> I was sternly corrected by a local for referring the Old Man of Consiton. It's strictly Coniston Old Man apparently.

You surprise me for I, who have always called it Coniston Old Man, was recently persuaded otherwise because it's apparently derived from old English and Norse and means High Stone of The King's Farm. But I suppose King's Farm High Stone would do too so the jury's out on this. 

Anyone else know? Or, like us, THINK they know!

Martin Bennett 15 Apr 2022
In reply to Slackboot:

> Not places but:

> Old Man of the Sea - a character in The Arabian Nights

> Old Man of the Moors  - a Sexton Blake novel.

Not to mention Hemingway's The Old Man AND The Sea.

Dave Hewitt 15 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin Bennett:

> You surprise me for I, who have always called it Coniston Old Man, was recently persuaded otherwise because it's apparently derived from old English and Norse and means High Stone of The King's Farm. But I suppose King's Farm High Stone would do too so the jury's out on this. 

It'll put the cat among the old man's pigeons if the hill database people ever decide they reckon that Swirl How is higher - there's not much in it. There'd be rioting in the village institute and the Black Bull.

DaveHK 15 Apr 2022
In reply to Martin Bennett:

> Not to mention Hemingway's The Old Man AND The Sea.

Or My Old Man's a Dustman.

Tom Valentine 15 Apr 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

Yes, there used to be a no holds barred race up to it and back which I ran a couple of times called the Headstone Headache. 

Orienteering bramble basher socks were a very useful piece of equipment on the day.

There was also a handicap race organised by SYO which ran up a little valley to the Norfolk Arms then back down Long Line to the finish. The handicappers seemed to get it right and it was a nerve wracking last mile, going your absolute hardest to the finish but hearing all these better runners  bearing down on you from behind.

deepsoup 15 Apr 2022
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> Yes, there used to be a no holds barred race up to it and back which I ran a couple of times called the Headstone Headache. 

Tough territory for such a short sprint.  Where did it start/finish - the pub?

I'm not sure which Norfolk Arms you mean - the former pub that is now two massive semi-detached houses below the Rivelin quarries was also The Norfolk Arms.  (As well as the Ringinglow Rd one.)

deepsoup 15 Apr 2022
In reply to Luke90:

Could go either way if you tilt your own head to one side and squint a bit.

Tom Valentine 15 Apr 2022
In reply to deepsoup:

It started at a pub at Lodge Moor whose name I've forgotten. And yes, it was very tough going.

The SYO handicap ran up to the Ringinglow Norfolk Arms then back down that road known as Long Line.

I think both these events petered out but that wasn't a problem once you had been initiated into the joys of the Trunce.

Benji GH EJ 24 Apr 2022

The old man of tarsuinn on arran on beinn tarsuinn is the only old man that I know of that has a face

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...