UKC

Other things to do in font?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TomGB 11 May 2023

I'm off to font for a week mostly to hang out with some mates who are going. I'm not much of a boulderer - as I've got older I'm morphing more and more into a cliched VS leading crusty tradder. I'll do some routes with them but will also do a fair bit of wine drinking and cheese eating. 

With the above in mind, what other things are there to do around the area? I might hire a bike and cycle round the forest one of the days. Any decent chateaus, wineries etc?

Merci en avance 

deepsoup 11 May 2023
In reply to TomGB:

How do you feel about bonkers kinetic sculpture on an epic scale?
(It's also an art gallery, kinda sorta.)

https://www.lecyclop.com/en/

Yak-muhahahaha 11 May 2023
In reply to TomGB:

Crusty VS cliche? Well you could have a lot of fun getting some easier circuits done instead of sessioning harder problems.  

Chateaus - lots.  See what's near your campsite/gite. Might have odd opening hours though if it's a small one.

Fontainbleau market is good, as are some of the other smaller markets. 

Train to Paris for the day.

Cheese? - Local cheese shops in the Barbizon area.  Impressionism too, -The Barbizon School Museum.

I reckon a combo of circuits + cheese and art would be pretty good.

In reply to TomGB:

The marked walking trails through the forest are pretty entertaining. Look up 25 bosses. 

GDes 11 May 2023
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

Les 25 bosses is great fun. I think it's about 12 miles or so, and surprisingly hilly for a flat forest. Some good fun scrambling bits on it.

But honestly, even the crustiest of VS trad climbers can't fail to have an amazing time on the easier circuits. You might not be placing your hex 7, but it'll still be some of the best climbing you'll ever do. 

supersteve 11 May 2023
In reply to GDes:

The 25 bosses is a good morning out - it's 16km but a good 5+ hours. Lots of other blue paths to follow - just grab a local OS map. Fontainebleau chateau and town are nice for a day. Train ticket to Paris is €10 return. 

As the others have said, popping your comfy trad shoes on and trundling round a circuit or two is surprisingly fun. You can cover a lot of rock and tick a lot of problems without feeling the need to crush some grades. Enjoy! 

GrahamD 11 May 2023
In reply to TomGB:

Last year, I took a road bike to Font (I knew I would run out of fingers trying to climb every day).  Beautiful area.  Loads of cafes to watch French life go by.

Carless 11 May 2023
In reply to TomGB:

Take rope and draws and do a day at Viaduc des Fauvettes

https://www.thecrag.com/fr/grimper/france/area/730079319

Post edited at 18:20
OP TomGB 12 May 2023
In reply to TomGB:

Thanks all. Circuits, 25 bosses, font chateau/town/market and maybe a Paris visit sounds like it will all keep me entertained. 

I haven't placed a hex in years, I'm not THAT crusty!

ianstevens 12 May 2023
In reply to TomGB:

>  do a fair bit of wine drinking and cheese eating. 

Given its summer, I reckon this and the sunshine will see you through no problem 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...