UKC

Overnight Parking - Langdale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 23 Jun 2021

I'm sure someone was discussing this on a thread just really recently but don't remember fully the outcome: so I want to spend Saturday night out high up above Langdale and therefore need to leave the car overnight. I'm a National Trust member so can use the NT car parks in Langdale but looking on their website for the two NT carparks in Langdale it quite clearly says "no overnight parking". I think I remember someone on here saying they actually didn't mind, but maybe that was just a very weird dream? Or wishful thinking? Does anyone know?

Otherwise I imagine the roadside parking I've used in winters past, probably gets filled up quickly on a summer weekend? I haven't been into Langdale for a couple of years, so don't know the current situation.

Many thanks for any parking beta!

mark catcher 23 Jun 2021
In reply to TobyA: NT car park at ODG no problem, or better still ODG pub car park and put a fiver in the MR tin.

Mark Eddy 23 Jun 2021
In reply to TobyA:

No overnight parking in the NT car parks yep: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/sticklebarn-and-the-langdales/lists/car-pa...

I would imagine they do mind as the increase in fly camping / littering / trashing the place is sadly all too evident. I'm not having a go at you by the way.

The roadside parking is still available. I tried parking and paying at the ODG midweek last week and was told 'no' it was reserved for customers only whilst at the pub/hotel.

Walking passed Angle tarn a few days ago and noted 4 tents up in the middle of the day. Grass areas around the shore were very well worn. Stickle will likely be similar.

Wild camping up in the hills now, make sure you're packing plenty water treatment tablets.

Anyways, hope you have a good time.

Exile 24 Jun 2021
In reply to TobyA:

In reality friends have not had an issue parking a car overnight at the Stickle Barn NT car park. If you are worried though there are a few (popular) parking spots at the old bridge between the Stickle Barn and ODG, or the NT campsite has a small car park outside their gate that they use for early / late arrivals, and people who have camped at the campsite and are then going into the hills, that you may be able to use if you give them a ring. 

galpinos 24 Jun 2021
In reply to TobyA:

It was me Toby:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/hill_talk/overnight_parking_in_langdale-7...

and I, and my mates, left two vehicles overnight. From the above thread:

> Thanks for all the replies. The were two NT rangers in the NT car park at the ODG. Had a lovely chat with them and they were happy with me leaving the car there overnight as a member. Not sure this will be a long term solution though.

> As ever, a friendly chat works!

The ODG car park was full. We were the last two cars into the NT carpark (8am on a Sat).

galpinos 24 Jun 2021
In reply to Mark Eddy:

> Walking passed Angle tarn a few days ago and noted 4 tents up in the middle of the day. Grass areas around the shore were very well worn. Stickle will likely be similar.

> Wild camping up in the hills now, make sure you're packing plenty water treatment tablets.

There were about 8 tents at Angle when we walked past in April. We had wag bags and water filters packed, it's getting busy out there!

Jungle_153 24 Jun 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Last time I did a night out in Langdale area I paid £5 and parked at the campsite. They also let me use the showers when I came down the next day. Not sure if they still have this arrangement, might be worth calling and asking.

Dark-Cloud 24 Jun 2021
In reply to galpinos:

I met a group of girls a few weeks back, late afternoon, sweating under the loads of the 50l packs heading to Angle Tarn, trouble is they were on the top of Garburn Pass, when it was pointed out they might be in the wrong place they were adamant there was a tarn at the top, I just shrugged my shoulders and carried on my way. I can only assume they had read their instructions very wrongly and thought they were on Boredale Hause.....

stubbed 24 Jun 2021
In reply to TobyA:

2 years ago in June we attempted this, both NT and ODG were full and when we asked at the pub / campsite said no to overnight camping. In the end we pleaded and the pub kindly let us but asked us not to do it again... 

John Kelly 24 Jun 2021
In reply to Jungle_153:

> Last time I did a night out in Langdale area I paid £5 and parked at the campsite. They also let me use the showers when I came down the next day. Not sure if they still have this arrangement, might be worth calling and asking.

We used to do this and will again if we have space but unfortunately we are full to capacity - cars people tents - for the foreseeable

Sorry

OP TobyA 28 Jun 2021
In reply to all:

Just a bit of a follow up and some musings/observations. In the end I decided not to stay up over night anyway so the over night parking issue became a moot point. I left home early saturday and pulled into the Old Dungeon Ghyll NT parking at about 0750. Plenty of space there but also a number of cars already there that might have been there overnight, and some converted vans - with people getting out brushing their teeth and so on, so I'm sure had been there overnight. In my excitement at being back in the Lakes I hadn't read the guidebook description of the parking very well for Gimmer, so only at this point realised I probably should have parked at Stickle Barn parking instead, I walked the 500 mtrs or so down the footpath there. Coming into that NT carpark, there were also a number of camper of vans that seemed more likely to have been there overnight than had just arrived. So although the NT clearly says no overnight parking on their website, it doesn't seem to be enforced. 

Perhaps because I had followed the long discussion on UKC about campervans a week or so ago, I noticed just how many vans there were parked not only in the car parks, but also at other points as I drove in and out of Langdale! I happened to see this on the Guardian the same day as well: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/26/can-the-british-countryside... It's interesting how quickly vans have become such an issue. Nothing even close to the level of #vanlifestupidity I saw a week ago at the parking area for Beeston Tor in the Manifold Valley, where two vans had not only parked diagonally taking up two parking space each and had left a space between them where they had put their camping chairs and so on and - best of all - were having a decent sized camp fire on the car park space, presumably with logs and sticks collected from the wood around! 

Back to the Lakes, I met my mates up at Gimmer: they had already done two routes to get to the top by the time I got up there at 9 am! All together we Bracket and Slab Climb (VS 4b) which was fun. Then Simon had to leave, so Luke and I then did 'A' Route (S 4a) which was good as well although I thought maybe slightly more serious feeling than B&S. Luke decided to head off then as well, so in the evening sunshine I wandered over to Pavey Ark and scrambled up Jack's Rake - a route I've done before but working it out, I realised it is very nearly 31 years since I did it as 16 year old! Lovely sunshine and very quiet when I got up to the top. 

Post edited at 15:35
 Dark-Cloud 28 Jun 2021
In reply to TobyA:

I would have said ODG was the right carpark for Gimmer, suppose it depends on which approach you take ?

Lakes is swamped with #vanlife type at the moment (for the record i have a van, have for 15 years but always use sites) i passed through the carpark at Kirkstone on Saturday and noticed somebody had had campfire in the top corner, a campfire, in the carpark FFS !

Also passed a group of "wild campers" at Blea Tarn the other morning all peacefully dozing at 9.30, despite numerous signs pointing out the fact it was forbidden, also a group camped up on the shores of Rydal on Saturday morning, idiots, the lot of them.

didntcomelast 29 Jun 2021
In reply to TobyA:NT are running a trial of allowing self contained campervans & motorhomes to park overnight in Sticklebarn car park and Aira force car park for £10. This is a trial and it’s continued availability depends on whether the service is abused or not. There’s a group called CAMpRA which is working with organisations to set up continental style Aires to try to counter dirty ‘wild camping’ in vans and to bring revenue to rural areas. It’s been shown that an average middle aged motorhome couple will spend about £47 a day in a location if they are able to stay over. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...