UKC

Overzealous RSPB volunteer at South Stack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Luke90 16 May 2022

Visited Castell Helen ( Gogarth South Stack) yesterday and was just beginning to rack up in the usual spot when an irate RSPB volunteer started shouting at us from the foot of Elin's Tower that we were breaking a ban and disturbing nesting puffins. After shouted debate got us nowhere we headed back up to talk face to face in the hope that lowering the volume would improve tempers.

Fortunately, I'd checked the RAD just before heading down, so could confidently state the disconnect between the info on there and what he was trying to tell me. I was quite happy to move on if we were indeed causing a problem, but was trying to explain that he was going to continue having this problem unless somebody got in touch with the BMC to update the RAD, especially as Castell Helen has never been included in the ban, to my knowledge. He wasn't really interested in explanations or discussion though. Asked how we were meant to know about the new ban in that case, given no signage at all or any info online, he pointed at the years old "no climbing" sign on the wall (which clearly from the illustration on it refers to not hurting yourself by falling off) and suggested we need to join the RSPB and volunteer!

He eventually huffed off and another less angry volunteer suggested that these kinds of things were a bit outside their expertise and we should probably ask to talk to one of the paid staff up at the cafe. Up there, one of the managers was trying to find and decipher the RAD when 'Steve' walked by, who according to everyone else there is 'the man who knows' on these issues. Word from Steve was that the RAD is still correct, there are no puffins nesting on or near Castell Helen, and we were fine to continue our day, which we did.

All's well that ends well. Just wanted to alert people to the possibility of grumpy volunteers but also share that if you politely stick to your guns, there should be no problem in the end.

Post edited at 20:35
 blurty 17 May 2022
In reply to Luke90:

As I head towards retirement, I've been thinking about doing some volunteering with the Peak Park/ NT etc. One of the things holding me back is the risk that I'll turn into exactly the sort of prat you describe ( I have form),  and also the thought of picking up all that dog shit and bollocking people about their disposable BBQs too of course

Post edited at 10:17
 Offwidth 17 May 2022
In reply to blurty:

I'm pretty sure such people didn't change when they volunteered. Well done to the OP for checking and trying to diffuse the situation.

In reply to Luke90:

Did they specifically refer to Puffins? Or to guillemots or birds/auks in general? 

I'm not at all surprised that the volunteers don't know the minutiae of the climbing arrangements, and they obviously have the best interests of the birds as their priority (that's the landowner's reason for existence) but I would be very concerned if they don't know the location of the puffin nest burrows! (They are on the muddy slopes facing the stairway/lighthouse in the next bay along). 

Babika 18 May 2022
In reply to Luke90:

I've been shouted at at Pembroke - outside the bird ban/RAD ban area. Its mighty difficult to rack up and start climbing with someone screeching at you. I think the issue was a seagull nest. Not entirely clear.

My partner was so unnerved he threw in the towel. 

I guess we all have rights but some have more rights than others. 

OP Luke90 18 May 2022
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

He was very specific about puffins, yeah. Guess he probably had the location described to him and misunderstood it. He certainly thought he knew the banned area.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...