UKC

Parking in Oban

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fiskavaig 05 Jun 2018

Does anyone know of safe free  parking in Oban for a week, other than the leisure centre or anyone local , like to offer me the use of their drive or something? 

In reply to Fiskavaig:

I notice that in the past few weeks what was once free parking on the Gallanach Rd is now metered.

daWalt 06 Jun 2018
In reply to Fiskavaig:

only one I'v used in the past is the N end of Dalriach Road, next to the leisure center (often full).....

at the time I was also considering parking in the suburban areas W & SW of the town.

Dave Williams 06 Jun 2018
In reply to Fiskavaig:

Last year we left a vehicle in the small free car park by the Kerrera ferry 'terminal'. Admittedly it was only for 2 days while we were on the island, but I had no concerns at all about it not being a safe place to leave a vehicle.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=183570&y=728375&z=120&sv=1...

OP Fiskavaig 06 Jun 2018
In reply to Dave Williams:

From what i can find out online, there is now. no free parking other than leisure centre. anywhere near the town centre! they sure know how to attract custom to the town, and give a friendly welcome! 

Cog 06 Jun 2018
In reply to Fiskavaig:

I thought the parking at the swimming pool was no longer free.

>  they sure know how to attract custom to the town, and give a friendly welcome! 

People need to park to go to work and to shop, cars abandoned for a few days are not going to help them.

What do you think they should do?

In reply to Dave Williams:

We have kept a boat on a mooring by the ferry for over 12 years and in the last few years the demand for car parking here has rocketed. I think it may be due to the inclusion of the walks on Kerrera on TV and in local guides. We now only go to the boat in the evening in order to find a space to park. There is a real need to formalise the parking, there is limited hard standing and the verges are now very badly cut up. Some people even park in the passing places. It must be really difficult for island residents to deal with. I don't think it will be long before the police take an interest in the parking here. There is space to significantly expand the parking if the local authority wished to but then no doubt it would become metered. This seems to be another example of a place becoming popular but the infrastructure lagging behind it.

OP Fiskavaig 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Cog:

Free would be best, but, i am quite prepared to pay a reasonable fee, the trouble is, there does not seem to be any long stay options ?  

Cog 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Fiskavaig:

> Free would be best, but, i am quite prepared to pay a reasonable fee, the trouble is, there does not seem to be any long stay options ?  

I assume Stoddarts still have secure parking and I found Horizon parking when I did a search.

OP Fiskavaig 08 Jun 2018
In reply to Cog:

Yes, booked with Stoddarts now, cheers all

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...