UKC

Parking Kentmere

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

What are the parking arrangements for walks starting in kentmere village? Is there a recognised car park, or is it just on street? If the latter, how limited is it? 

Cheers

gregor

Jon Stewart 08 Feb 2019
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

There's parking for a few cars at the Parish Hall, and that's it, as far as I know. Never been on a weekend, so not sure what you do when it's full. Interested in what others say...

plyometrics 08 Feb 2019

As per Jon’s response. However Maggs Howe have a small field (just before you go up the hill to the parking by Kentmere Institute) which they occasionally open for parking. However, strongly suspect it won’t be open currently. 

At the weekend, get there pre 9am and you should be fine, but be aware it is very limited and fills up quickly. 

Pre 8am you’re pretty much guaranteed a space. 

LGraham 08 Feb 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I’ve been twice and parked in different honesty box car parks both times (once in a farmers field, once on a large grassy area in front of a holiday cottage), but also both times I went the other car park wasn’t open, so it’s very possible they could be both closed at the same time...

Considering how wet it’s been recently I’d guess they’ll be closed.  

Thanks. Hmmm. Wouldn’t  be getting there til 10 or thereabouts. Sounds like that might be a disappointment. 

What’s the car park at the top of Haweswater like? It could be an alternative start point

Pedro50 08 Feb 2019

Have failed entirely at kentmere once. Haweswater is much more reliable particularly at this time of year. 

plyometrics 08 Feb 2019

Yup, better parking at Mardale Head. Other option is Sadgill, which has fewer car spaces than Kentmere, but is less frequented. 

Yes In reply to plyometrics:

Sadgill could work-never been up longsleddale so would be interesting from that point of view alone. Is the parking at the road end at 484057?

Jon Stewart 08 Feb 2019

Yes. You’ll have no problem parking; beautiful valley, great walk up onto Harter Fell from there. 

Dark-Cloud 08 Feb 2019

There is space for about 4 cars at the bottom of sadgill pass on the kentmere side, there is also a few other cheeky locals ones around too !

Longsleddale parking at end of tarmac road but longsleddale valley is an arse of a drive to be honest

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Google says it’s about the same time to reach mardale head as it is to sadgill. 

Will decide in the morning....

James Malloch 09 Feb 2019

There's a small factory (glass,  maybe) about 1.5 miles before kentmere village. I often park in the large layby next to that and walk in. Can be good to drop pads somewhere and then run back. 

Parked by Haweswater in the end, yesterday. MWIS forecast grim, storm force winds, but enough of a suggestion of improvement in the afternoon to make the trip worthwhile.

but even by 10am it was clear the day was turning out better than forecast- tops clear, wind blustery but no more than that; so plan ‘A’ reinstated, High Street by Long Stile. A very good walk indeed, can’t believe it’s taken me so long to get round to it... 

some snow on the summit plateau and top 50m of the ridge, but only cosmetic- winter has gone for now. 

Some photos in my gallery showing current (well as of yesterday) snow extent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...