UKC

Pavey Ark tomorrow - quick drying?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ripper 11 May 2018

Thinking of heading up to Pavey Ark tomorrow morning to have a look at Arcturus/Golden Slipper - forecast is good for the day but looks like rain overnight tonight. Any advice on how quickly these routes are likely to dry, whether or not this plan is a good one - or any better alternatives (eg. Capella)? thanks

danm 11 May 2018
In reply to ripper:

In my opinion, Capella is the better route, and makes a better link-up with Golden Slipper, than does Arcturus. It's more balanced, has better climbing and is better protected. The crag gets a lot of sun, but can hold moisture from vegetation, and can seep in places. Generally I'd expect it to be pretty dry atm though as we've a good spell, and overall it dries fairly quickly for a Lakeland crag.

OP ripper 11 May 2018
In reply to ripper:

thanks - yeah I'd expect it to be pretty dry atm, and my hope is that overnight rain will only wet the surface and therefore dry off fairly quickly in the morning...

I also note what you say re: Capella, particularly the issue of pro - assuming we get there will probably just try and weigh it up from below before deciding which to go for.

Jon Stewart 11 May 2018
In reply to ripper:

Should be fine - great crag, great routes. Can be vegetated, but on these classic routes the rock is excellent. In fact on the upper tier, it's just the best rock anywhere - up there with Lewisian gneiss. 

C Witter 11 May 2018
In reply to ripper:

I've not climbed Arcturus, but Capella and Golden Slipper are both excellent. I would expect Golden Slipper to dry quite fast, but Capella and Arcturus might be wet at the bottom of P1. Bits of the crag are slow to dry, but if the crag looks sopping, Gimmer should dry fast - and it's not far to walk across.

TobyA 11 May 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Any thoughts on Great Gable (Napes/Trophet Wall side, not Gable Crag side) in terms of damp or dry for this weekend Jon? We are undecided as yet if very early tomorrow we'll be going to Wales or the Lakes!

John Kettle 11 May 2018
In reply to danm:

The upper half of Pavey above the rake seeps much less than the lower half, so if Arcturus/Cappella look wet don't be put off checking out Golden Slipper. Capella is the faster drying of the two lower routes.

@TobyA the Napes should be bone dry, good breeze blowing and it takes almost no seepage. Only bit that seeps much is the LH side of Tophet Wall (around The Viking).

Jon Stewart 11 May 2018
In reply to TobyA:

Napes is great and quick drying, but the forecast seems to have turned a bit crap. I'd go wherever the best forecast is! 

Gav Parker 11 May 2018
In reply to ripper:

Was up there today. Walking up to Jacks Rake the bottom half of the crag looked very wet in places. Was very cold aswell.....it was very windy though

Post edited at 18:58
 Mark Eddy 11 May 2018
In reply to ripper:

As Gav mentions, was pretty chilly in the hills today. I was at Stickle tarn and we all had hat, gloves, coats on and still feeling the chill.

There were a couple of optimists on Pavey though, looked to be in the general area of Arcturus. Not sure, but looked like they might have backed off. Raining in Ambleside at the moment, but not heavy, so if the wind stays the crags will at least be pretty dry.

OP ripper 15 May 2018
In reply to ripper:

Thanks all - it was a pretty hot morning (must have been, judging by the amount of sweat I produced walking up there) but Arcturus was still very wet and slimy. Capella however was fine, just the odd small patch of easily-negotiable damp - and Golden Slipper was in mint condition. Top day out. Maybe try Arcturus/Poker Face next time

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...