UKC

Pembrokeshire sport climbing experience

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tpgough 06 Apr 2019

I'm heading down to Pembrokeshire next week with family and would love to spend a day sport climbing as I know it's a superb area. I've very little outdoor sport climbing experience, but am a regular boulderer and have lead 7a+ indoors.

Can anyone recommend a decent company/individual who could take me out for the day? I have a harness, helmet, 60m rope and a few other bits of gear. 

Thanks for the help,

Tom

GridNorth 06 Apr 2019
In reply to Tpgough:

It's certainly a superb area but probably NOT for sport climbing. There may be some minor crags that I'm not aware of but it's renowned for trad and trad at the adventurous end of the adventure scale at that.

bonebag 06 Apr 2019
In reply to Tpgough:

I know it's not sport but in April 2016 I went to Porthclais with two friends. We did some really good low grade trad routes on the sea cliffs there. There's loads of good trad stuff there and nearby too.

We also went to Saddle Head but I believe there are restrictions on except maybe at weekends.

Like Gridnorth says it's mainly a trad venue but a fine one at that. I'm there again end of May with family.

I hope you get out somehow. You wont regret it. Have fun

In reply to Tpgough:

Sport at Amlwch and Pendine next door in Camarthen,google Henry something or other he does instructing near there.If I track down link will post it up.

bpmclimb 06 Apr 2019
In reply to freelunchprovider:

> Sport at Amlwch and Pendine next door in Camarthen,google Henry something or other he does instructing near there.If I track down link will post it up.

Henry Castle

philhilo 07 Apr 2019
In reply to Tpgough:

I did find a sport venue in Pembrokeshire, on the north coast. A big fresh quarry and it was shockingly bad. If you are paying, do trad and have a fantastic experience.

jezb1 07 Apr 2019
In reply to Tpgough:

Stu McInnes at The Climbing Company is your man.

Http://www.climbingcompany.co.uk

Post edited at 06:51
 KA 07 Apr 2019
In reply to Tpgough:

I can highly recommend Henry Castle of https://www.climbpembroke.com/

Post edited at 06:59
 BALD EAGLE 07 Apr 2019
In reply to Tpgough:

Another vote for Henry Castle of Climb Pembroke as he is a great guide and a top guy! Cheers Dave

Rik 07 Apr 2019
In reply to jezb1:

Although, amusingly, the link for navigation courses leads to this page...

http://www.climbingcompany.co.uk/walking-skills-course/

In reply to Tpgough:

Henry Castle,the link is down the thread somewhere or google him yourself.He does trad and sport at Telpyn,Morfa Bychan,Pendine which are literally just over the Pembroke/Camarthen border,

No decent sport climbing in Pembroke.Henry  Castle highly recommended for sport /trad,beginners or improvers. HENRYCASTLE@HOTMAIL.CO.UK( I think)

OP Tpgough 09 Apr 2019
In reply to Tpgough:

Thanks all, really useful information. I'll see what I can do!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...