UKC

Places to move to in UK temporarily for outdoors?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RatKing 30 Oct 2020

Hi all, not sure where is the best forum for this but I've had a fleeting thought on this.

Because of lockdown I've got bored a lot and often think of the outdoors, and would love to live somewhere where I can travel regularly for it on the weekends etc. Because of lockdown I'm unlikely to really take advantage of any real urban amneties like clubs, pubs etc.

So what if for lockdown i.e the next six months minimum I temporarily moved (I work remotely so that's fine) to somewhere for the purpose of going out regularly to the hills? I have no car, and a salary of around 30k without any big bills to pay off regularly. What place could you advise just based off access to mountains (within walking or public transport, and ideally ones that get winter climbing available) low cost from rent, and decent internet for working?

I'm aware of other costs and things I'd need to account for moving there, but purely based off those two conditions what towns or cities would you recommend I take a look at? Thanks everyone 

Neil Williams 30 Oct 2020
In reply to RatKing:

I guess it depends how restrictive things get - on the basis that, assuming there isn't a full lockdown where you can only exercise from home, it's generally been by County, then Carlisle would give you access to the Lakes because they're both in Cumbria?  Quite cheap too.  Stagecoach's bus network is really quite good so you can get to many places you'd likely want to go in the Lakes.

Ulverston another option on the same basis.  Barrow cheaper and also in Cumbria but it's an abject dump.

Post edited at 17:07
In reply to RatKing:

Get a car, rural living verges on the impossible without one. 

silhouette 30 Oct 2020
In reply to RatKing:

Crucial IMHO is to remember that as long as the situation lasts, even mildly, bus operators will be restricting the number of seats so I would aim for somewhere served by rail. NNW of Leeds/Bradford springs to mind as does the Sheffield to Manchester route via Hathersage and Edale. 

plyometrics 30 Oct 2020
In reply to RatKing:

Ambleside?

Doug 30 Oct 2020
In reply to RatKing:

If you want winter climbing in the UK you really need to be in Scotland but without a car (or good friends) you'll be very limited. You could look at places such as Aviemore, Fort William or maybe Inverness (further from the hills but a bigger town)

In reply to RatKing:

If you don't drive surely it's Llanberis or Hathersage???

Flinticus 30 Oct 2020
In reply to Doug:

I would have said Aviemore too. Fort William good as well. 

I assume you can cycle? 

spenser 30 Oct 2020
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

For winter climbing on a Salary of £30k?

balmybaldwin 31 Oct 2020
In reply to spenser:

llanberis rent must be pretty cheap I would think? Reasonable bus services... but probably the most restrictive of the 4 national govs less chance of winter climbing but not impossible

In reply to spenser:

How many days a year is decent winter climbing in the UK, accessible from a town, in condition? I probably wouldn't relocate somewhere to wait for that one weekend. Certainly not somewhere that's grim and dark all winter if I was trying to cheer myself up. 

Llanberis and the peak have climbing all around, and I know inflation's a bitch but I'd like to hope they're both survivable on 30k.

Doug 31 Oct 2020
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

> How many days a year is decent winter climbing in the UK, accessible from a town, in condition?

From Aviemore or Fort William a lot more than one weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...