UKC

Pyrenees as a stand by.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Russell Lovett 13 Mar 2020

If the weather gods play ball I'm off to Scotland for 2 weeks camping and walking last week in June first week in July. Now I know the weather in Scotland can be a tad dicey even in summer so if there was a particularly bad weather forecast for even one of those weeks was thinking of jumping on a plane and heading to the pyrenees. I have no idea where so I was wondering which part I should go to for a 7 day walk either camping or staying in huts along the way. Did the whole of the AV1in the Dolimites last year so know what I'm letting myself in for hiking for 5 to 7 days on the trot.

Doug 13 Mar 2020
In reply to Russell Lovett:

the higher parts of the Pyrenees will be snow bound - ski touring conditions

In reply to Doug:

Thought end of June beginning of July would be snow free on all but the highest peaks, there you go then looks like I will be having to think again for a alternative to Scotland. Anyone got any ideas.

Post edited at 18:34
 Doug 13 Mar 2020

oops, read to quickly (cooking at the same time) end June may have some snow but not too much. I prefer the Spanish side but mostly as the weather tends to be better (or at least drier). Look at a section of the Haute Route de Pyrénées in the middle of the range & you should have a good time

pec 13 Mar 2020

You could follow the GR10 on the French side through the Parc National des Pyrenees which is roughly from the Cirque de Lescun (west) to Cirque de Troumouse (east) or the Pyrenean Haute Route (HRP) which sticks closer to the border and crosses it in places through the same stretch.

You'd have to work out for yourself exactly how long that would take you but at a guess it must be about a week and would incorporate many of the scenic highlights. There are regular huts and most have a camping area or you could wildcamp.

Deadeye 13 Mar 2020

Start from Col de Somport and go east on the HRP

john arran 14 Mar 2020
In reply to Doug:

Typically by the start of July there will be snow in shadier sections of paths down to around 2000m, although it may not be until several hundred metres higher that it requires much in the way of equipment to pass safely. It's very variable though according to the season. This year's promising to be a lean year, so unless we have a notably cold and wet Spring I would expect most of the higher paths to be largely snow-free by early July.

Doug 14 Mar 2020
In reply to john arran:

my experience is that its only  high cols & summits that still have snow in early July & they can be avoided with some planning. The GR10 & GR11 should be clear, but probably not the HRP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...