UKC

Quiet solo bouldering areas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tehmarks 04 Aug 2020

I have a few places in mind already, but not being a boulderer and having little idea of where people go to play on boulders outside of the Peak District and Shaftoe, I'm sure the UKC collective can give me a few more. I'm looking for some quiet, esoteric and out-of-the-way places with enough problems at below f6A that one could spend a couple of days in tranquility, quietly ticking off the crag. Anywhere in the country other than the Peak District, but with a preference for the north. Good landings are essential.

I may or may not be planning to bivi, so places where irate farmers with shotguns and NV goggles are known to appear in the dead of night are out as well.

Jon Stewart 05 Aug 2020
In reply to tehmarks:

Sampson's Stones

Never actually climbed there myself, and tbh I'd expect the location would lend more appeal than the climbing. Downstream is  Heron Stones.

Also nearby is a load of bouldering on Harter Fell, plus the Eskdale granite down the valley. A beautiful place to spend a few days but I can't vouch for the quality of the problems. 

TMM 05 Aug 2020
In reply to tehmarks:

Not the north but large parts of Dartmoor meet your criteria.

Wild camping is allowed and if stray more than a mile from an ice cream van you are likely to have the place to yourself for much of the day.

Developed areas you could look at would be Coombeshead Tor, Sheep’s Tor and Cuckoo Rock on the SW side of the moor.

On the north moor I’d look at Tavy Cleave, Great Links Tor, West Mill Tor and Irishman’s Wall. For real isolation get yourself out to Fur Tor.

Offwidth 05 Aug 2020
In reply to tehmarks:

Quite a tough call for quiet, out of the way places with a large number of named problems below F6a.

I know a few venues in and on the edge of the Peak where there is lots of unnamed stuff and just beyond Blackstone Edge comes to mind. 

This site might give ideas for Yorkshire...

https://unknownstones.com/

Dale Berry 05 Aug 2020
In reply to tehmarks:

The Bull Stones

could fit the bill

Lankyman 05 Aug 2020
In reply to Dale Berry:

> could fit the bill

They are on CRoW land but there is a lot of grouse shooting in that area. The season starts on the 12th and there is a shooting hut on the slope opposite. Likely to be gamekeepers on the prowl. The landowners have a right to close areas off on shooting days and there are no rights of way actually up to the Stones.

freemanTom 05 Aug 2020
In reply to tehmarks:

Roundhill should do you nicely, cracking spot. 

dunnyg 05 Aug 2020
In reply to freemanTom:

Some of the spots on unknownstones.com might be worth a look. Many of them are quiet!

In reply to tehmarks:

Glen Lednock boulders sound exactly what you are looking for.

Glen Lednock Boulders

https://issuu.com/stonecountry/docs/glen_lednock_mini_guide

sinclaircooper 05 Aug 2020
In reply to tehmarks:

Isle of Rum is a good shout. 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/hallival_boulders-11417

Post edited at 11:22
OP tehmarks 05 Aug 2020
In reply to tehmarks:

Thanks all - some great suggestions there that I'll have to look into properly. The Bull Stones were already on my radar, so it's good to know about the grouse-shooting situation. Rylstone was another venue on my radar - the Cracoe Memorial Boulders (maybe not so quiet, but everything is in a sensible grade range and the idea of being able to tick the entire area over a couple of chilled days on my own is strangely appealing) - and a bit of digging led to finding topos for some more esoteric boulders in the same area too. Will have to return to Shaftoe too, given that it's now been a round decade since I last properly climbed in my home county...whoops.

Plenty to go at already, but I welcome any further suggestions.

ebdon 05 Aug 2020
In reply to tehmarks:

I've done what you are suggesting at rylestone. Lots of good bouldering spread out, white doe is good fun. Good Camping spots arnt super easy to find as often the case with heather Moreland but theres a few, felt quite remote dispite proximity of the road in the valley.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...