UKC

recommendation for car hire company- Italy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ClarNicG 17 Sep 2019

Hi,

I'm currently booking a last minute holiday to Italy- and I was hoping that someone might have a suggestion re: reasonably priced car hire company and also for places to camp around Lake Garda and Como region.

Cheers!

D.botts87 17 Sep 2019
In reply to ClarNicG:

Used Locauto last week. Were highly rated online, terminal pickup and not too expensive. Would use and recommend again. (Milan airport)

Earlier in the year I used Interrent which I think is part of Go rent.

Tried to rip us off on drop off for the tiniest scratch that was already there. We took pictures of everything before hand but still had an argument for 30mins  

Locauto had a staff member present to walk around on collection and pickup whereby the cheap ones don't unless you drag them out from their behind their desk. 

Hope this helps 

Post edited at 18:15
 IPPurewater 17 Sep 2019
In reply to ClarNicG:

I've aways had good results from www.holidayautos.com - check them as well.

Also an annual car hire excess insurance policy is usually cheaper than taking out a weeks excess insurance with the car hire company.

beardy mike 17 Sep 2019
In reply to ClarNicG:

Not a recommendation for a particular company, jus want echo checking the car when you get it. In my experience it is very rare to get a mark free car or for the existing ones to be accurately recorded. Watch it like a hawk, if there are lots of extra marks get a reception chap to come out and check it over with you and record it all with a camera.

99ster 19 Sep 2019
In reply to ClarNicG:

Avoid at all costs: 'Noleggiare' - absolute crooks!

Neil Williams 19 Sep 2019
In reply to ClarNicG:

Last time we went (a few weeks ago) Avis was cheapest for what we wanted (at Venice Marco Polo).  Just shop around.

Neil Williams 19 Sep 2019
In reply to 99ster:

> Avoid at all costs: 'Noleggiare' - absolute crooks!

They're all crooks to be honest.  But if you stick to the big international brands (and either take the zero excess option or be very careful indeed, including carefully pointing out any and all damage when you collect and refusing to sign until it is recorded) you will largely avoid major issues.

Post edited at 14:40
 SC 19 Sep 2019
In reply to ClarNicG:

I've had good experience with Sixt.

EuropeCar were not so good, the car was an absolute dog and collection/drop off at Venice were hard work. 

Check the car very carefully when you collect it against the damage report form, they don't always show all damage on the car so you could end up charged for damage you don't cause.

olddirtydoggy 19 Sep 2019
In reply to ClarNicG:

Id avoid Holiday Autos. In America we got hit with an extra insurance to pay as they had missed some of the paperwork, they refunded me and when we went to Germany thay hadn't booked the car for us, we had to fight for a refund on our return. Lightning doesn't strike twice, totally useless.

J1234 19 Sep 2019
In reply to ClarNicG:

If you are driving from Milan towards Como, it is possible you will go on a Toll autostrada, that you have to pay afterwards, ie not at a booth, it is actually quite easy but you may wish to download the App and register before you go. https://www.pedemontana.com

Interrent are now part of Goldcar, so that may sway you, but really its the same with all of them, check the car thoroughly before you leave the airport, and give yourself plenty of time to fill it and return it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...