UKC

Red river gorge in November ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rachelpearce01 02 Sep 2018

Just wondering if anyone has been to RRG in November and what the temperatures are like? What’s the budget accommodation situation? Don’t know if we’d want to be camping if it’s really cold. 

And what’s the climbing like in the 6b to 7b range ? Doesn’t seem to be too much info on here. 

Many thanks !

spidermac 02 Sep 2018
In reply to rachelpearce01:

Hi Rachel,

its a while since I was there at end of October/beginning November. Conditions were very good ( tho I do prefer it a bit cooler) in the shade - I was climbing from 7.00am to 12.00 at the Motherlode & when we left most people were arriving!!. Could climb in the sun if you want it hotter! Lots to do up to 7B & I imagine a lot more now. Lots of very good crags & definitely one of the best sport climbing venues I have visited over the last 45 years!!!  Budget best to camp at Miguels - where the main climbing scene is!!  You will have a gret time its a brilliant place.

heleno 02 Sep 2018

Agree with most of what Spidermac has said - we found it pretty warm in late October so I think it would still be fine in Nov.  Fantastic climbing, though a very different style from limestone.

However, you might also want to consider Lago Linda as an alternative campsite.  It's reportedly quieter than Miguel's, and is actually closer to some of the areas.  Splitting your time between the two might be a a good option.

The Mountain Project website is a good source of info - there is an also a Mountain Project app which allows you to access this info offline if you download it in advance.

cmb621 03 Sep 2018
In reply to heleno:

Hello there... I am off to the Red in Oct... You say very different climbing from limestone... In what way? Less crimpy I guess? Less technical and more athletic? Pumpy? 

I am pretty excited! 

Cheers 

1poundSOCKS 03 Sep 2018
In reply to cmb621:

> In what way? Less crimpy I guess? Less technical and more athletic? Pumpy?

Yes.

1poundSOCKS 03 Sep 2018

> Just wondering if anyone has been to RRG in November and what the temperatures are like?

I was there for most of last November. Started off quite variable, sometimes too humid, sometimes too cold. At the end it was stable and perfect. It really is hard to predict, but the locals were saying late November in December is generally the best time now. Miguel's closes end of November I think, but stayed open longer last year due to the conditions being so good.

heleno 03 Sep 2018
In reply to cmb621:

> You say very different climbing from limestone... In what way?

Imagine the best, steep, juggy, sculpted gritstone.  Then add bolts.

(But I specifically mentioned limestone because when I met Rachel she was crushing on Spanish limestone).

Post edited at 18:31
In reply to spidermac:

Nice one thanks !

In reply to heleno:

Is it Helen? Where did we meet? Hard to remember as met so many lovely people on last road trip! It’s hard tossing up the decision of whether to go back to Spain for sun and limestone this winter or to brave possibly chilly camping but would absolutely love to experience America as have never been!! 

I think I know now! We met you at arboli towards the end of our trip! Hope you had a great rest of holiday too. The madness of our summer of work is nearly over so looking forward to planning our winter trip

heleno 04 Sep 2018

Yes, that was me in Arboli 

It's a tough call between reliable weather and exploring new places.  But I have to say I enjoyed the "Red" much more than I expected to, and would definitely recommend it if you can go when the weather is right.  If the main concern is camping in the cold, there are various cabin and motel options in Slade and surrounding areas. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...