UKC

Ridgeway View Crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 28 Jun 2018

Having a browse on UKC I came upon this crag.

Ridgeway View Crag

I'm wondering where I can get route information as the crag doesn't seem to figure in the SMC Northern Highlands North guide where I had figured it should be. I thought perhaps it might be under a more Gaelic name, but I find that there is no index of routes (!) in that guidebook, so no quick way of finding it under another name.

big ed 28 Jun 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> Having a browse on UKC I came upon this crag.

> I'm wondering where I can get route information as the crag doesn't seem to figure in the SMC Northern Highlands North guide where I had figured it should be. I thought perhaps it might be under a more Gaelic name, but I find that there is no index of routes (!) in that guidebook, so no quick way of finding it under another name.

Page 250

OP Rog Wilko 28 Jun 2018
In reply to big ed:

Cheers for that. It isn't in the contents page either.

Andy Nisbet 28 Jun 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

It gets a lot of stars. But because the routes were received at the last minute while I was in hospital, I was unable to check whether it was first ascentionists over-enthusiasm. Which it was to an extent. So don't take the stars too literally. It's good but not that good.

In reply to Andy Nisbet:

Sorry, it was our first (and pretty much only) new routes, so we may not have achieved complete objectivity.

The routes are actually very good, and the crag is worth a visit if you are in the area.  The crag name must be due to the fact that it looks out towards John Ridgway's adventure centre, now run by his daughter.  However, it is spelt incorrectly - there is no "e" in Ridgway.

I recently visited the crag for the first time since I worked at the centre 40 years ago.  We used to top-rope the routes with children, and had a fixed traverse line in place along the length of the crag, high up, like a via ferrata. 

alan moore 17 Jul 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I've been a couple of times over the years. Garry Latters book has a few extra routes to the SMC guide. I've filled a few gaps and recorded them on here but sure they've been done before. It's small but very nice rock. Take away a grade and a star from each route for a more realistic appraisal. The novelty of easily accessible climbing on perfect rock in a wild setting is worth the effort of getting there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...