UKC

Riglos

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm off to Riglos in early May and want to get some feedback from anyone who may have climbed in this area before. For example:

Twin ropes or a single?

Decent - are they via ab or walk off?

Best topo/guidebook for the area?

Best options for accommodation?

Any other advice/tips for this area would be much appreciated. The main objective is to climb Fiesta de los Biceps so any feedback I can get for this route would also be great

Thank you.

Carless 28 Mar 2013
In reply to southernclimber:

Can't really be that helpful as the only route I've done there is Fiesta

Had a 70m single for it and it's a walk-off
Looks like some of the other routes must be ab off eg. Pison

We had the local topo which is good

Didn't stay in the village - was a long day hit from Pau

Fiesta is excellent fun - you can easily run 1st 2 pitches together (observation rather then recommendation)
Crux for me was 1st 7a pitch
For the rest, if you've not got a large potato in your hand, there's one coming soon. Just follow the chalk & keep pulling
In reply to Carless: Thanks very much for the info, I have a single 70m rope so will use that, plus I'll get the local topo when I arrive, thanks again for the help, very much appreciated
 paget 28 Mar 2013
In reply to southernclimber: not to undermine the above response but We did Zulu and the other classics, but seem to remember a big ab off the the back using two 60 metre ropes together after walking down a rain gulley.
It also allowed us to link pitches together and made the climbing way quicker. It's an awesome place, enjoy!
In reply to southernclimber: We were told by the spanish guys we met that 'if you clip the last bolt, you will fall!'. Unfortunately due to a sprained wrist we didn't get to do Fiesta but I could see why you would!

We had 60m doubles and walked off the top of moskitos. took about an hour down.

We didn't bother with a guidebook and relied on chalked holds to lead the way.

We wild camped at the bottom of the road up to the town in some hay bales a farmer had left.

Wild camping is a good possibility if you don't want to spend a lot of money.
 Ian Parsons 29 Mar 2013
In reply to southernclimber:

Just checked my photos. We did three routes at Riglos, all with a single 60m: Zulu; a 4/5 pitch route on the slender buttress immediately right of El Pison; and Moskovkaya, a 3-pitch route to a terrace immediately right again. The latter two involved abseil descents, so must have been 30m maximum (provided you don't miss anything). I seem to recall that the most direct descent from Zulu involved the abseil mentioned previously, but a slightly longer version didn't; unless my memory has completely deserted me we didn't abseil.

Make sure you're fit, or get a few routes in before you go on Fiesta!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...