UKC

Roaches campsite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gravy 16 Jun 2021
Thread moved from Rocktalk to Destinations

Anyone know if the Roaches campsite is back?

alex505c 17 Jun 2021
In reply to gravy:

Also curious. 

PaulJepson 17 Jun 2021
In reply to gravy:

Have you tried giving them a call?

In reply to gravy:

I think I saw tents in it the other week! 

The one just up from all the factories.

As Paul so sassily commented, give them a bell!

Dave Garnett 17 Jun 2021
In reply to gravy:

I think I saw some camper vans there last time I passed, but don't recall seeing any tents.

PaulJepson 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Sorry wasn't meant to be sassy. I enquired last summer after one of the lockdowns and don't remember it being too difficult to get hold of them.

OP gravy 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

It's a little more difficult to ring than you think.  The farmer sadly passed away a couple of years ago and his wife was looking after the camping but the year before COVID she fell and broke her hip.  The son was looking after the camping during this time and then the campsite shut during covid. 

Because it's a very low key and informal campsite and the frailty of the owners it's not the sort of place that is geared up to sort out all the COVID precautions required earlier on so it remained shut and was still shut when I last went up there late April. 

So not wanting to bother the owners I'd just like to know if the big "CLOSED" sign on the gate is still there, if not I guess it's open.

Post edited at 14:25
In reply to gravy:

Ye, a shame as it's a lovely campsite.

I'm pretty sure I did see people camping there though in April.

Could be wrong!

mark s 18 Jun 2021
In reply to gravy:

I've been past a few times this week. The field has been mowed but I've not seen any tents 

robhorton 18 Jun 2021
In reply to gravy:

> The farmer sadly passed away a couple of years ago

Sorry to hear that. I've not been for a few years but being woken up at 6am by the farmer on his vintage tractor to collect his £1.50/person + £1/tent + £.50/car (or whatever the formula was) was rather memorable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...