UKC

Rock Climbing in Sri Lanka... IT EXISTS!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fatchild 19 Feb 2020

I recently went on a holiday to Sri Lanka and didn’t find much by the way of climbing when searching online in the normal channels. All there is on here is a depreciated post about the lack of climbing in Sri Lanka. HOWEVER, there IS rock climbing in SL. It is just simply in it’s early stages of development. 

Id like to set the record straight in this thread with the current state of climbing in Sri Lanka. 

If you travel to SL you will likely start and end your trip in Colombo international airport (Negombo). This is perfect as the rock climbing is based very near the capital. 

To setup a day of guided rock climbing, visit https://www.instagram.com/climblanka/?hl=en  (the climblanka Instagram page) and book in for a session. 

The man running this organisation puts all of his effort into developing climbing in Sri Lanka for the benefit of tourists and teaching local village people the skills of climbing. He is truly wholesome and the cause is great. He is 100% committed to developing the sport in his country and providing opportunities to locals. By booking a session with him you will be contributing to this positive venture. 

We had a great afternoon on the granite, he catered excellently for 2 beginners and 2 experienced climbers. The gear he uses and the bolting is high quality. The climbing itself is technical and highly enjoyable. 

I can not recommend this enough. It’ll be great to see climbing in Sri Lanka grows as the country is full of untouched climbing. ClimbLanka is the key to demonstrate to officials the benefits of climbing to tourism and locals alike. 

steve taylor 19 Feb 2020
In reply to fatchild:

I saw rock everywhere on my trip there last year.  It's a beautiful country.

OP fatchild 19 Feb 2020
In reply to steve taylor:

It really is. Huge buttresses and boulders popping up all over. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...