UKC

Rockall Expedition, June 2008

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MM0NDX 20 Aug 2007
Hi. Unsure whether this is the correct place to post..

Ok. I profess to knowing nothing about rock climbing. I'll get straight to the point, in the hope someone can help.

I'm a radio amateur operator, and together with three other radio friends, we hope to go to the Isle of Rockall, well off the coast of Scotland in June 2008. This is a much sought after island in the world of ham radio due it's remoteness and obvious dangers..

Now, as mentioned earlier, none of us have climbing experience,which is obviously going to provide a stumbling block should we arrive at Rockall in one piece!

I guess what i'm really asking is anyone remotely interested in joining us next June with the ability to get on the isle and subsequently rig up a means of getting evrryone else up the rock?

The trip itself is in it's very early planning stages - a website is still to be completed - transport costs to get there are still to be finalised, and indeed, we will be seeking sponsorship from within the radio ham community to help us on our way.

I really reiterate that planning is still in it's infancy, but as ever, it should fall into place by next June!

So, anyone interested in the possibility of an adventure of a lifetime?

Thanks

Al Evans 20 Aug 2007
In reply to MM0NDX: Apart from one face its just a scamble not a climb as such. I nearly landed on it in 1989 but the sea was too rough.
MM0NDX 20 Aug 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

Thanks for reply.

So it doesn't look as bad as it looks?

Are you able to share anymore info on your trip?
Was it your own boat you took or a charter etc?

Keith Jones 20 Aug 2007
In reply to MM0NDX:
You should be aware that even on calm days there is a significant surge of 2 to 3 metres at the base and if there is any sea running take a jet-pack.
MM0NDX 20 Aug 2007
In reply to Keith Jones:

Hi..

Yep, knew about the swell. Can be frightening, i heard..

A group went to Rockall in 2005. http://www.rockallisland.co.uk/

If we can achieve what they did, then great.
Apparently June is best time to go.

Also trying to get Ben Fogle involved - he's been twice before but never made the landing - his agent has passed on my details etc..

Thanks for replies so far - anything else we should be aware of? Anyone else been there?
In reply to MM0NDX: I could be seriously tempted. I am on a career break next year and looking for weird things to keep me occupied
 Al Evans 21 Aug 2007
In reply to MM0NDX: It was HMS Ark Royal, She was on her maiden series of voyages. I was for various reasons filming on board and the captain decided that as we were in the area a filmed landing on Rockall would be good publicity, so we set course and were going to launch small boats for the actual landing obviously.
Unfortunately we had dreadful weather and a tight schedule and the attempt had to be abandoned. We never even got close enough to see it properly, though I think the harriers flew over it.
MM0NDX 21 Aug 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

Yep, we have seen that site. Thanks for link though and other information.
Most Interesting!
 iceox 21 Aug 2007
In reply to MM0NDX:
Give Bear G a call.He could swim there from the nearest 5 star hotel with just a knife and a flint, eat bird eggs and show you how to survive in the obligatory mud pits.
MM0NDX 21 Aug 2007
In reply to 9WS9c3jps92HFTEp:

Hi. Thanks for reply and your recent email.

You sound just like the person we need.

I'll reply to your email this evening - i'm a little pushed for time at this moment - many apologies for that..

Best regards..

Colin
karl walton 21 Aug 2007
In reply to MM0NDX:
What specific interest does the island have for radio ham types?
MM0NDX 21 Aug 2007
In reply to iceox:

lol! Sure sounds like the type of guy you want on your side!
MM0NDX 21 Aug 2007
In reply to karl walton:

Hi Karl

It's one of the most wanted in the world. Radio hams look to contact as many islands around the world as they can. Some are simply easy, ie the UK, others less so..

Rockall was "aired" in 2005 by a small group. The weather put paid to staying longer, so only 2% worldwide contacted Rockall, as such..

Hence this planning of a trip to Rockall.
karl walton 21 Aug 2007
In reply to MM0NDX:
Oh I see, makes sense now.
Do you make a 'small charge' for receiving calls while you are there?
I guess there will be a lot of interest if you make it.
Are you all keen to broadcast from as many islands as possible too?
MM0NDX 21 Aug 2007
In reply to karl walton:

Karl. No charge for sure! Amateur Radio is a hobby with so many aspects. Expeditions to rare places is one of them. We hope to do this and put Rockall on the map, firstly for ham radio, secondly anyone else interested

A website is currently under construction, so will post the link when we feel it's fine to view.

Cheers
 Al Evans 21 Aug 2007
In reply to MM0NDX: How did you come across this forum?
karl walton 21 Aug 2007
In reply to MM0NDX:
Best of luck.
Look forward to seeing the what happens.
MM0NDX 21 Aug 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

Hi Al. Just googled "UK Climbing"

Thanks for best wishes Karl.
 Keith Jones 21 Aug 2007
In reply to MM0NDX:
I was out there in June but didn't land because of the surge, you will be surprised how big it is on even a calm day. Some of my colleagues landed there about 10 years ago, climbed it in wellies. If you're interested I'll send you some photos when I get home in Sept.
MM0NDX 21 Aug 2007
In reply to Keith Jones:

Keith that would be wonderful if you could.

Yep, the surge appears to one of many hazards..
 Al Evans 21 Aug 2007
In reply to MM0NDX: The surge, apart from local conditions, is the main problem, the climbing is easy and incidental.
MM0NDX 21 Aug 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

Ok Al.

From non-climbers POV we really just need to make sure.
A group member has already commented in saying that the climb might not be as difficult as it looks, but i suppose looking at pictures and being there are two different things.

Looks like the swell is the perhaps the biggest obstacle then..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...