UKC

Rome.....short break advice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 10 May 2019

I'm looking to book a 3 or 4 night short stay in Rome in early June....any guidance about best areas in the city to stay? Ideally would like to see some of the main attractions and would like to go to the Vatican but otherwise happy to chill a bit, drink wine and eat good pasta!

Thanks for any advice.....

Dark-Cloud 10 May 2019
In reply to abr1966:

Years since i have been but we stayed in a little boutique hotel near the Colosseum which was reasonably well located for everything, most stuff is easily walking distance, Vatican was furthest away

elsewhere 10 May 2019
In reply to abr1966:

Have a look at Monti. Central, nice area.

keith hal 10 May 2019
In reply to abr1966:

I have stayed a couple of times in a place called Fabbriccia San Pietro. Nice B&B within 10 mins walk of Vatican and 5 mins walk from the bus station into the centre of city( or walk down and over Ponte San Angelo and head up to Piazza Navona/ Pantheon  etc...lovely way to get into city! 

Have a good one! ..Ostia Antica is a fantastic day trip ( if you like the ruins etc!)if you want a good walk/bike ride take the metro to the Sub Augusta station and head to the aqueduct park. Hardly any tourists there just locals!

In reply to abr1966:

Trastevere is a very good area - a maze of little streets full of restaurants, bars, small shops and accommodation. Also pretty central. About 30 minutes walk from the main station though most of the main sights are within 15mins walk I'd say.

Rome is a totally brilliant place (IMHO) and I'd second the recommendation for Ostia Antica. 

JamButty 10 May 2019
In reply to abr1966:

You have to do the classic bits,  I'm not usually into that sort of stuff but in fairness things like the Colosseum, Pantheon are simply awe inspiring.

Aventine Keyhole is the best "different" thing to do,  free and best view of the Vatican,  avoiding lining their pockets.

We had a hotel near the train station which was basic but fine.

Welsh Kate 10 May 2019
In reply to Different Steve:

Delighted by the recommendations for Ostia Antica, I did my undergraduate dissertation on it decades ago!

It is a marvellous place, much quieter than Pompeii, and you can wander the streets of an ancient city, go into the upper stories of apartment blocks and really bring HBO Rome, or Plebs to life! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...