UKC

Sagres Portugal bouldering and DWS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 douwe 13 May 2017
Looking for information on bouldering and possibly DWS around the Sagres area in Portugal.
A quick google search turned up some information on mostly nice looking sport climbing. Would be interested in bouldering possibilities (lower grades and up to around 7A).
Trying to combine climbing with a family holiday. Thanks in advance for any information!
 nniff 14 May 2017
In reply to douwe:

Ingrina is the place for DWS. Not far down the road. There was a query about it a few months ago one here, so worth a search. It's also in the DWS guide.

Sagres - lots of challenging currents - I wouldn't care to fall in in some places - next stop Brazil. As you say mostly sport but a lot of trad of UK provenance too. Hand-drawn topo in the Dromedario café in Sagres - there may even be a guide now
 andy healey 15 May 2017
In reply to douwe:

I tried to combine with a family holiday a couple of years ago.

Some DWS places are fine on your own, Sagres/Ingrina doesn't fall into this category. It's generally high, in hard to access places where the family can't watch you from the beach.
 ashtond6 15 May 2017
In reply to douwe:

I'm there in June and looking for partners..
 ashtond6 15 May 2017
In reply to andy healey:

Where is fine?
OP douwe 16 May 2017
In reply to ashtond6:

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I'll be there end of July beginning of August. Haven't booked accommodation yet.
Please do let me know how the climbing is over there and enjoy!
In reply to ashtond6:

Ingrina is really good, perhaps tricky to locate on first acquaintance. Most climbs at an agreeable height over deep water. The main issue being the size of the swell which impacts on exits if you fall in.

Garcia Walls are perhaps a bit more committing, with care required on the first bit of the approach which isn't DWS and also the depth of the water for some of the highball routes - high tide is safest. Also, the dry bag ledges are not dry even in a moderate swell. That said, it really is worth a look - very adventurous and great fun.

Both places are perfectly feasible and enjoyable for solo climber. A short length of rope can provide additional security on some of the approaches if required - the climbing on the approaches is easy, just the friability of some of the holds - they are sea cliffs.

I will be there late June and may be able to point you in the right direction if the timing works.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...